Filed under Features

Best Celebrity Performances at Coachella, 2017

This+year%27s+Coachella+festival+was+definitely+a+blast%21+
This year's Coachella festival was definitely a blast!

via Unsplash

via Unsplash

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is an annual music and arts festival that is held at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California. It is located in the Inland Empire’s Coachella Valley. Every year, an approximate 100-200,000 people attend this festival in order to see famous musicians and artists perform live. Below are some of the best celebrity performances that occurred at Coachella during its first weekend this year!

• Lady Gaga

Being one of the headliners, Lady Gaga was seen at Coachella quite a bit. Up until “Million Reasons,” her collection of songs were more club-worthy than tear-jerking, but after performing, ‘’Edge of Glory,” Lady Gaga has gained a new profound reputation. While playing at Coachella, she chose to sing a piano version of the song, “Edge of Glory,” and was able to display such powerful vocals and let the song’s emotional lyrics really shine through! After performing, Gaga gave many the reminder that there are more to just dancing in sequins for her, but that she has one of the most dynamic voices in pop music today.

• Kendrick Lamar

The word “dull” could almost never be associated with the always daring rapper, Kendrick Lamar. Adding on to Lady Gaga, Lamar was also a headliner at Coachella. Lamar, along with his most visually stunning headlining set, was the antithesis of boring. Not only did he at one point did he perform in an illuminated cage while rapping in front of a fiery display, but Lamar, along with his TDE label, delivered a martial arts film, starring his alter ego, Kung Fu Kenny.

• Radiohead

The band, Radiohead was also a headliner at Coachella, but their music experience did not go exactly as planned. They experienced many technical difficulties with their sound booth and although the source of the issue was not discovered, the band still powered through and performed crowd-thrilling classics such as “Creep” and “Paranoid Android.” Beats 1 host Zane Lowe remarked on Twitter, “Challenged yet defiant Radiohead. Brilliant. Just brilliant.”

• DJ Snake/Lauryn Hill

DJ Snake definitely made a memorable performance. Not only was he joined by Migos to perform their viral “Hot 100” chart-topper song, “Bad and Boujee,” but he also unveiled a surprise performance by Lauryn Hill. Hill performed with both Fugees (“Ready or Not”) and solo (“Lost Ones”), but it was her heartfelt performance of “Killing Me Softly” that truly crowned the performance. Later that day, Snake proclaimed on social media that his “dreams became reality” in that “legendary moment.”

• Hans Zimmer

Many were looking forward to watching Hans Zimmer perform being as he is a very popular composer and record producer, and because of his association with Disney. Since he has so many prolific songs in his repertoire, there was no telling what song he would play and when. The song, “Circle of Life” was right in the middle of his performance and when the iconic “Naaaaa” began amidst a sunrise-colored background, along with a full choir, the crowd was in awe. Zimmer’s performance was “spectacular” to say the least.

The first weekend of Coachella was a memorable one and it’s not over yet! The second weekend of Coachella is sure to be a blast! According to Kraemer student, Arpi K., “Although I wasn’t able to attend this year’s Coachella, I really enjoyed watching all of the celebrities perform!”