Technology is Getting Hacked

Common home technology.

Common home technology.

Life of Pix

Life of Pix

Common home technology.

Everything these days is connected via wifi or anything associated with a  smartphone. Hackers can have all the power to do whatever they please. In modern day America, the people  have the technology to connect anything from cameras to TV’s to even cars! Some people try to keep up with the latest security technology making locks, thermostats, TV’s and even light bulbs connected to their phones. How do hackers get into all of these and what other cases are there?

One popular way to install viruses into a computer is to use the Trojan Horse method. The victim downloads the virus which is disguised as something harmless, such as emails or friend requests. Once downloaded, the virus can record everything a person types and even send spam to attack other computers! One thing that many people don’t know is that hackers often use someone’s wifi to hack.. If they manage to break the wifi’s encryption, they have control of everything connected to it. A very important device they can hack is a phone, which can hold many things like credit card information and if a person keeps up with smart security which is connected to your phone making it easier to get to someone’s phone.

Another hackable item which is very popular and getting a lot of attention is the nest thermostat. Because it is very popular now, it is also a target for many hackers.. The hacker, however, needs physical contact to hack into it which drastically lowers the chances, as the owners, google have stated and tested. That may not be the case because people may not know any better buying from ebay or a third-party seller.

Another very scary, but very true fact is that a car could be hacked, especially if they have wifi installed, as the majority of cars do.. There have been reports of people’s cars getting hacked and controlled.

There are now smart fridges and people able to hack them as well. It is is quite unexpected; which is the exact reason they would go for such a target. After they have control of the fridge, they can send spam attacks! The creepiest hack is getting access to a baby monitor. They can see and hear into rooms with a simple hack and have access to your home. The more new inventions and helpful pieces of technology arrive, the more hackers have to hack.  

Another scary piece of technology people are able to get into are self aiming guns! This is one of the most deadliest hackable items of all. Hackers can either render the gun useless, make it fire the wrong way or even fire something else. Not many people may have it with its steep price of $13,000, but it definitely can be easy to break into with its connection to phones and wifi.

Our society is revolved around technology and we can not live without it these days. Technology will only improve and grow from this point on and we will only have to make it safer. Fictional worlds with hacker taking over the world and controlling everything we use is becoming more of a reality. We can only be more careful with electronics and hope our future doesn’t look like the fictional word.