Top Movies and Shows to Watch on Netflix

The logo of Netflix.

The logo of Netflix.

Binge watching! Friday nights! Popcorn! Netflix is the perfect place to find all of the best movies and shows of all time, from child friendly movies and humorous TV shows to get a laugh out of. On Netflix, there are movies and shows of all ratings, with some that stand out from others. Many of these shows and movies have won prestigious awards and are loved by many show critics. Netflix offers a wide variety of shows and movies, some that are old and some that are new. Instead of scrolling through Netflix helpless and debating what movie or show to watch, try watching some of these great movies and shows of all time.

Movies:

1. Green Room: Made in 2016, Green Room is a violent and thrilling movie and ideal for those who just want to squeeze a pillow so hard as they watch this horrifying movie. This movie is about a punk rock band that must survive after they eyewitness a killing at a neo-Nazi bar. Later on,  the band members become targets of the killers because the killers knew that the band members saw the whole killing. How will the evidence of the murder be covered? Find out in this movie!
  2. Jaws: An all time classic film of 1975, Jaws is all about a shark and has reminded many generations of people to stay away from the water, specifically the ocean. Jaws features a great white shark who kills swimmers in the sea, leaving behind blood and only blood. Eventually, officers, a marine biologist, and a seafarer all work together to find this beast. This movie is perfect for sailing along the waters or even relaxing by the beach.
  3. Pulp Fiction: Pulp Fiction is another 1900’s classic movie that is highlights both crime and drama. Revolving around the lives of two men, a boxer, two diner bandits, and a gangster’s wife, Pulp Fiction weaves the lives of these people into ways that are completely unimaginable. Each of the main characters have utterly different backgrounds, yet somehow, their lives seem to blend together. Pulp Fiction has won one Oscar award and has been nominated for many other awards.
  4. Good Will Hunting: This movie is all about appealing to its audience and will definitely leave the viewer in tears. Featuring a troubled young janitor named Will, he answers an extremely difficult math question asked by a Harvard professor. Will discovers his gift for math and needs to help of a psychologist to help him pave a way in his life. One day, troubled Will meets the love of his life who puts his life together and opens his heart.
  5. City of God: City of God is based on true events that happened in Rio de Janeiro. This movie highlights the vivacious Brazil, as well as horrifying scenes that include violence. Two boys are raised in a rough neighborhood and grow up to have different occupations – one a photographer and the other a drug dealer. City of God is a movie that revolves around gangs who end up out of control.

TV Shows:

1. BoJack Horseman: This TV show series includes four seasons of 25 minute episodes, each filled with comedy and drama. BoJack Horseman, a horse, was originally in the TV show “Horsin’ Around”, but now BoJack has his own TV series which depict him in Hollywood, making a fuss about everything, and wearing colorful sweaters. Definitely watch this TV series when craving a good laugh.
  2. The Get Down: Taking place in the late 1970s, The Get Down is another great TV series available on Netflix and is best known for the energetic music in the show. This TV show is heavily based on singing and music and is about a group of kids who live in the South Bronx of New York. The group of kids have all that they need – improvised dance moves and spray cans. The Get Down accurately shows the political and social environment of New York.
  3. Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Another popular TV show series, Brooklyn Nine-Nine currently has 89 episodes, each 22 minutes long. The TV show revolves around a talented New York police detective who is used to being carefree and doing whatever he feelings like doing. The main character is skilled at his job, being a cop detective who interrogates suspects. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is filled with comedy that depicts the police workplace as a loose and untroubled community, with people singing karaoke and yet at the same type protecting the civilians of Brooklyn.
  4. House of Cards: House of Cards is a drama series that is centered around a Congressman who works alongside with his heartless wife to get revenge on people who have once betrayed him. Francis Underwood, the main character, goes on a great journey to get revenge and tries to climb the political ladder to take his career to the next level.
  5. Stranger Things: This Netflix Original Series that rose to popularity in 2016 blends both fantasy and horror into one TV series. The town is a small town where everyone knows everyone, but suddenly one day something mysterious happens. A young boy disappears and so the child’s mother, police, and some of his friends work together to challenge terrifying forces in order to get the child back into their arms.

With all of these suggestions, try watching these great movies and TV shows today! Each of these shows and movies have their own speciality and have their own reasons for being on the top charts. Whether the movie or show is humorous or brings fear into the viewer, all of these are on Netflix and ready for you to watch today. Kraemer student Peyton P. says, “I watch Netflix so much that it’s part of my life. One show that I recommend is Pretty Little Liars.”