Filed under Campus Life

Orchestra Festival

Orchestra
Orchestra

Orchestra

stocksnap.io

stocksnap.io

Orchestra

Each year, the top two Orchestras at Kraemer Middle School attend a festival held by SCSBOA, the Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association. This year, Kraemer’s Orchestra performed on March 29th. So, what exactly is the SCSBOA Festival about?

Each group, whether it is a band or orchestra, will each pick three songs to perform at the  festival. The process is very tedious and long, and requires long rehearsals, and immense practicing each day for the performers, all the way untill Festival Day. At Festival, three adjudicators will judge the performing group and decide whether there score will be Poor, Fair, Good, Excellent, or Superior. If all the judges vote Superior, then the result will be an Unanimous Superior, which is the top score any performing group can get. The three adjudicators have to judge different aspects of the group’s playing. Parts such as Sound, Intonation, Fundamentals, Musicianship, and Other Factors of playing all contribute to the final score a group will get. Additionally, each performing group will sight read a piece of music, meaning they will play a random piece of music that they have never played before, and play it on spot as a group. Though the performance you make for Sight Reading does not affect your overall score, the judge their will listen to the performance, and give advice to the group about how the piece should be played for future reference.

Kraemer’s Advanced Strings did not perform by themselves, they combined with Chamber Strings and played Little Symphony, Spring Breezes, and Fantasia for Strings. Chamber Strings alone played Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 by J. S. Bach, Prelude on an Early American Folk Hymn arranged by Claude T. Smith, and Idylls of Pegasus by Richard Meyer. Both groups got a final score of Unanimous Superior. During the performance of the combined Advanced and Chamber Strings, Justin W., the Concert Master for Chamber Strings, played an astounding solo on the song Spring Breezes. In Chamber String’s performance, happening later in the day at 3 pm, the song Prelude on the an Early American Folk Hymn featured Ian O. on the viola, and Justin W. on the violin. In Idylls of Pegasus, Edmund L. was featured on a solo part.

Overall, Kraemer Middle School’s orchestras did a spectacular judge. And thanks to their SCSBOA judges for taking their time to rate them. Mr. Topping, the Kraemer Middle School’s top two Orchestras’ conductor says, “Both the Advanced Orchestra and Chamber Strings performed magnificently and earned the highest rating of Unanimous Superior.  I am extremely proud of my orchestra students for their remarkable accomplishment.” Way to go Kraemer Orchestra students!