Filed under Features

Uber to pull out of Denmark

Unfortunately%2C+Danish+citizens+won%27t+be+able+to+do+this+anymore.+
Unfortunately, Danish citizens won't be able to do this anymore.

via The Tech Portal

via The Tech Portal

Taxi giant Uber announced on March 28 that they plan on pulling the company out of Denmark next month. The reason for the removal from the country is regulations from the government of Denmark. There are approximately 300,000 people who use the app in Denmark, and there are over 2,000 Uber drivers that will lose their job on April 18 due to government regulation.

Uber spokesperson Harry Porter says “The government is passing a new law that will essentially make our business untenable here.” This new law in Denmark requires there to be fare meters and seat occupancy detectors in all taxis. This bill was aimed directly at services like Uber that have taken business away from real taxi drivers in Denmark. Unless legislation changes, Uber will no longer be in Denmark. This new bill goes into effect on April 18.

Uber has faced problems in Europe in the past as well. In London, Uber is currently being sued, and if the firm wins Uber will have to pay a 20% value added tax on every ride. This outcome would drastically hurt Uber. Uber also has faced problems in Spain. Thousands of people have gone to the streets to protest Uber in spain. Last Summer in France, a court found Uber guilty of operating an illegal ride service. The court ruled that Uber be fined 800 thousand Euros, or about $850,000.

These were just some of the many hurdles Uber has had to jump through lately. Recently Uber’s President Jeff Jones quit after being President of the company for a mere 6 months. This was a major blow to the company. The taxi service also faced problems when many people began to boycott the company due to new policies, especially in New York. Uber ended “surge pricing” at New York City airports. This dramatically decreased the salary of drivers in this area. Uber also faced problems in February after sexual harassment claims by a former engineer. March was also a bad month for Uber, as the New York Times claimed that Uber had created a tool that it used to trick authorities in cities that banned or restricted the Uber app.

Despite all of the recent problems Uber has faced, the company is still worth a whopping $70 Billion. The value of the company has declined since the start of 2017, but Uber still has absolutely no money problems. Uber has over 7,000 official employees, over 10 million drivers worldwide, and over 50 million active users worldwide. Uber dominates the taxi game and has become a very profitable business and a great job for people worldwide of all social classes.

Overall, Uber is a highly successful company, and will continue to be during the near future. It’s many employees and users will make sure that the company will at least maintain their stance in the taxi game but they also have room for growth. Kraemer Middle School student Rohith V. still believes in Uber saying “They may have had recent setbacks but I still believe the future looks good for them.”