Filed under Features

Why you should drink water the first thing every day

Drink up the water!

Drink up the water!

via Unsplash

via Unsplash

Drink up the water!

Did you know infants contain more water in their bodies than adults? The average adult human body is composed of about 50% to 65% of water while infants consist of about 75% of water. There are many benefits of water and often provides as an energy boost for a period of time. While providing much assistance and support to the body, it can even make one’s day sufficiently better when drinking water first thing in the morning. Experts even state that filling yourself up with H2O before heading to work or school is beneficial to your system. It could even jumpstart your mind and body just when you need it the most. A simple glass of water every morning hydrates the body as well as aid digestion and metabolism. Below are the simple and easy tips experts advise in order to maintain the body efficiently.

The Gold Standard Fluid

There are many benefits to water that have been explained by numerous scientists such as Angela Lemond. As the national spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Angela Lemond states it is, “the gold standard fluid for the body.” She discloses that she had heard of beneficial water consumption in the morning for the body. She also agrees that this theory does somewhat make biochemical sense. However, she has never seen any studies that confirm that water in the morning aids digestion and other functions. She states, “Our bodies are pretty dry when we wake up in the morning…Drinking a couple glasses of water to allow the body the rehydrate allow for better digestion when you do eat. It also helps with excretion of waste for regularity in the mornings.”

Metabolism Boost

Registered dietitian, Alissa Rumsey, states that water alone is incapable of inflicting a significant calorie burn. However, she states that it can ensure functional metabolism. She even states that the human body commonly mistakes dehydration for hunger, therefore often resulting in over consumption of food. She agrees that “Starting the day with two glasses of water upon waking is a great way to begin the day hydrated…Drinking enough water to stay hydrated is more important than whether it is warm or cold…The amount of energy our bodies have to use to warm up cold water is negligible, so it really doesn’t make a difference.” However, she advises others to drink warm water for effective digestion.

Amount of Glasses

Scientists state that people shouldn’t drink water until there are definite signs of dehydration. “The more physically active you are, the more fluids you will need to replace sweat loss.” says Rumsey. Angela Lemond advises adults to drink from 90 to 120 ounces of water daily, varying on medical reasons, sweat rate, and energy level. Angela Lemond states that certain foods such as fruit and soups also contain a certain amount of water. She also notes that it’s suitable to avoid drinking beverages, such as soda or wine, and water during meals. For digestive support, avoiding drinking during meals. When normally drinking water between meals, drink room-temperature water. Lemond adds that nothing she has seen has suggested that nutrition absorption is inhibited by the pair of food and water. However, drinking room-temperature water before and after meals can further help optimal digestion, helping the body produce enough fluids in order to properly simplify food.

Some other benefits of water consumption is that it increases energy, relieves fatigue, promotes weight loss, flushes out toxins, moisturizes skin, and boosts the immune system. It is also serves as a natural headache remedy and prevents cramps and sprains. Not only does water relieve digestion, it also improves moods and is free! Ivette C., a student at Kraemer states that, “I didn’t know how much influence water has in our lives and the numerous benefits of drinking water in the morning.” So make sure to drink up!