Filed under Opinion

Why the Immigration Ban is Flawed

Why the Immigration Ban is Flawed

stocksnap.io

stocksnap.io

stocksnap.io

Recently, the newly-elected President, Donald Trump, has issued an executive order that bans the distribution of visas from those who come from seven predominantly Islamic countries. The ban prevents all citizens coming from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entering the U.S. for 90 days. In addition, it stops all refugees from all around the world from entering the country for 120 days. An emphasis is put on Syrian refugees, disallowing entry into the U.S. indefinitely. This has been President Trump’s first step to protect his country and bring an end to terrorism. However, while it certainly is a sure footed step in the right direction, there are some problems that it brings.

• The Ban is Unconstitutional.

The ban infringes on multiple clauses and Amendments that protect immigrants. First, the executive order goes against the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment, which basically prevents all states from denying any person the equal protection under the law. Therefore, the ban violates this by focusing on individuals for their nationality and religion. Moreover, immigration laws already forbid this type of discrimination in the distribution of visas. Secondly, the 1st Amendment, which gives religious freedom, is also transgressed by this executive order. Again, by only focusing on these seven primarily Islamic countries it raises religious freedom concerns. Adding to that, the order bans all refugees but prioritizes refugee claims for those who are of a religious minority in a given country. Consequently, the order also explicitly puts Muslim refugees second in terms of refugee claims.

• Refugees Are Banned From Entering the Country.

While refusing refugees might seem like a good component of the ban to some, I personally think that refugees should be allowed past our borders. To start, the world is currently facing the worst refugee crisis it has ever faced. According to the UNHCR, over 60 million people internationally are displaced or become a refugee, with half of that amount children. This means that 1 in every 113 people is an asylum-seeker, internationally displaced or a refugee. Moreover, all refugees go through an intense and rigorous screening process. The process begins with a referral from the UNHCR. The registration process involves multiple in depth interviews, thorough background checks and biological checks like iris scans. An acute percentage of those who pass background checks are referred for overseas resettlement. Then, once a refugee is referred to the U.S., they go through yet another round of intense screening from a multitude of government agencies. The even smaller amount of those that pass government screening are then finally sent to a predetermined place in the U.S.

• The Ban Could Make People Retaliate.

The ban on these Islamic countries could fan the fire and bring about a large retaliation from terrorist groups. Firstly, the ban could be used in a multitude of ways to recruit new members to terrorist groups. One of the the main goals of terrorist group is to show that the U.S. is against Islam. This is to create conflict itself and show Muslims that they are not wanted in the U.S., creating hatred. Henceforth, the ban can be used in propaganda, used as motivation and also a source of anger that can round up large amounts of newcomers. The ban is counteractive by fueling extremists and putting the idea in citizens heads that followers of Islam are to be avoided. Both of these things do nothing but help terrorists achieve their goals.

Nathan C., Co-Editor - Food & Travel

Nathan C. is an 8th grade student currently attending his second year at Kraemer. He is a co-editor Food & Travel for the Kraemer Cub Reporter. This...