Filed under Sports

The History of Figure Skating

Figure skating is known as an elegant mixture of art and sport today. It is a popular and anticipated winter Olympic sport with many competitors finally having the opportunity to show the world their skill and passion for figure skating. With tough competition ahead of them, they must train hard to perfect complicated spins, turns, jumps, routines, and combinations to captivate the crowd and the judges. Athletes train passionately for about four hours every day on the cold, slippery ice in hopes of obtaining a gold metal. While athletes undergo vigorous training, most would question how this cold, slippery sport and hobby was created.

Arguably, the Dutch were the first to invent ice skating. In the 13th century, their purpose of ice skating was to maintain communication between other villages. This hobby and piece of transportation eventually spread across the English Channel to England. Soon, the first ever artificial rinks began to undergo construction. This elegant hobby, that was very much like ballet, developed drastically with the help of two Americans. In Philadelphia, in the year 1850, Edward Bushnell revolutionized skates when he introduced steel bladed skates. Bushnell was able to demonstrate a variety of complex spins and turns with the steel blades attached to the sole. In Vienna, in the 1860s, a ballet master Jackson Haines, developed ice skating by adding ballet and dance to construct a sport of icy grace.

Figure skating was first featured during the Summer Olympics in the years 1908 and 1920, it is one of the oldest winter Olympic sports. It became a winter sport in the year 1924. There are a variety of events such as individual men, individual women, ice dancing mixed, mixed NOC team mixed, and Pairs mixed. Individual men and women’s events consist of only single figure skaters competing for gold, silver, or bronze. Ice dancing mixed is an event that consists of a pair of skaters, usually a man and women, who perform together in hopes of receiving a medal. Mixed NOC team mixed, are teams consisting of athletes who are carefully chosen to represent different National Olympic Committees. Pairs mixed is an event that is very similar to ice dancing mixed but there is a regulation that the pair must be a woman and a man.

Some well-known figure skaters are Evgeny Plyushchenko, Yuzuru Hanyu, Viktor Petrenko, Yuna Kim, Adelina Sotnikova, and Ashley Wagner. Evgeny Plyushchenko is a Russian figure skater medalist and was a participant in the men’s individual event. He is a four-time Olympic medalist, three-time world champion, the seven-time European champion, and a ten-time Russian National Champion. Yuzuru Hanyu is a Japanese figure skater medalist and is also a participant of the men’s individual event. He is a 2014 Olympic and World Champion, three-time Grand Prix Final Champion, and a four-time Japanese National Champion. He has broken ten world records and has achieved the highest short program, free skating, and combined total scores. Viktor Petrenko is a former representative of the Soviet Union, the Unified Team, and Ukraine during his career as a figure skater. Now he is a figure skating coach and an ISU Technical Specialist. A Technical Specialist identifies elements of the performance and determines the difficulty of each technique. Yuna Kim is a former South Korean figure skater who is a 2010 Olympic champion, 2009 and 2013 World Champion, a three-time Grand Prix Champion, and a six-time South Korean Champion. She is a current record holder and has broken world records 11 times. Adelina Sotnikova is a Russian figure skater, 2014 Olympic champion, a five-time medalist in the Grand Prix series, and the first Russian woman to win the Olympic gold in single figure skating. Ashley Wagner is an American figure skater who is the 2016 World silver medalist, a three-time Grand Prix medalist, and a three-time U.S. national champion.

Figure skating has come a long way and will continue to grow as a passion for many people in the world. Skylar Tanartkit states, “ I think that figure skating looks really beautiful, but I’m pretty sure that it takes a lot of practice and effort to master.”  It has influenced many people and has given others an opportunity to show the world of their talent.