Top 5 Sports that are Best for Your Heart

Running shoes

via StockSnap

Running shoes

Charis P., Reporter

The heart is by far the hardest working organ in the human body. It is essential to human life and it’s important to keep it in great shape. Below are five of the most popular sports played to help strengthen the heart. These sports will strengthen both the mind and body as well as the heart!                                                                                                                                                                                                 Running  Everyone knows that running is a great way to exercise your muscles as well as to shave off a few pounds, but what most people don’t know is that it also immensely benefits the heart. When running it is best to take short breaks in between your running periods also known running as intervals. When running in intervals it is known to be a great way to challenge your cardiovascular fitness as well as to spike your heart levels, You will first need to run until you start breathing hard and once that has been accomplished then it is suggested to take minimal rest before beginning another interval. A suggestion would be to take a 10 second breaks between your running periods.

Aquatics  Over 50% of the world’s population has been involved in some type of aquatic sport whether it’s being on a swim team, doing water polo, or competing in small aquatic relay races. When swimming, it has been proven that it will strengthen both the muscles as well as the heart. In fact, studies show that people who regularly or have regularly swim are less likely to die from most illnesses, but especially cardiovascular disease. Even a mere 30-60 minute swim every 1-2 weeks will immensely benefit the heart. So, when swimming it’s always great to think about having fun as well as keeping your heart healthy.

Aerobics  Everyone loves a great workout, and dancing is a great way to workout your heart as well as your muscles. Over 1/3 of the world’s population have participated in some type of dance in their life whether it’s for fun, competition, or in hip-hop, jazz, or tap dancing, or ballet. In fact those who participated in dance sometime in their life would have a 36% reduced risk of cardiovascular disease. Dancing is a great way to maintain balance, posture, and a healthy heart!

Tennis Tennis, an aerobic style sport, is extremely beneficial for cardiovascular fitness. Adding to the fact that tennis is great for the heart and also improves speed, strength, flexibility, balance, coordination, and muscle tone. Tennis greatly improves the heart, muscles, and mind, and it is a great sport to learn and play!

Yoga  Yoga is one of the best stress reliever sport in the world. Having a calm mind, body, and spirit ultimately means a healthier heart! Certain styles of yoga such as Ashtanga and Bikram often many cardiovascular benefits. Since they are more intense than regular yoga, these two styles are more likely to elevate the heart rate. Yoga is a great way to strengthen both the mind as well as the heart!

These activities are just suggestions and examples, but there are so many more activities in the world! Whether it’s doing small things like jogging for 20 minutes or biking for half an hour, these activities will be extremely beneficial when becoming older. KMS student, Ellie P. stated, “I think that it’s always important to keep your heart healthy, and there are tons of sports in the world that are both fun and beneficial!” In order to live a long and healthy life, it is key to maintain a healthy heart, make sure to always keep your body as well as your heart in great shape!