Filed under Sports

The Boston Celtics

The Boston Celtics

The Boston Celtics are an NBA team who is ranked amongst the best this year. The Celtics have been one of the most stacked teams in the NBA for a while now. From the start of the NBA, the Celtics have had great players on their team from Larry Bird to Paul Pierce. This article is devoted to the history of the Celtics, some of their famous players, and their upcoming season.

The history of the Celtics begins in 1946. Over time the Celts have acquired players that have led them to victory multiple times. Since the beginning of the NBA, the Celtics have earned 17 NBA championships. Not only did the Celtics have great players, they also had terrific coaches, one of them being the great Red Auerbach. The Celtics were the pride of Boston in the 80’s and the 90’s. Who wouldn’t want to be fans of one of the most popular teams in the NBA, especially if someone is living in Boston. Since the 60’s, the Celtics have been the most feared and talented teams in the NBA.

Now some of the famous players of the Celtics that made the team prosper. Five of the best players would be: Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Paul Pierce, Dennis Johnson, and Kevin Mchale. So start with Bill Russell. Bill Russell was probably more animated on defense rather than on offense. He was the defender that no one could get by. He was always blocking shots and getting rebounds. Bill Russell won 5 MVP awards, 6 NBA championship rings, 6 playoff MVP’s, and 1 Defensive Player of the Year award. He is also in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Now onto Larry Bird. If someone was a Celtics fan, they’d probably know who Larry Bird is. He was the best three point shooter the league in the 80’s and 90’s. He is most famous for peeking into the locker room of players waiting for the 3-point shooting contest and saying, “Hey, who’s coming in second?” and left. He then went on to win that contest against the legendary Reggie Miller. He won 3 NBA MVP awards, NBA Rookie of the Year Award, and 1 NBA Coach of the Year Award. Moving on to Paul Pierce, his nickname is the Truth because his moves are so genuine. He has won 1 championship with the Celtics in 2008. Moving onto Dennis Johnson. Dennis Johnson was the expert point guard on the Celtics from the 80’s to the 90’s. He won 1 Finals MVP and 3 NBA champions. Going to Kevin Mchale. Kevin Mchale was one of the best defensive players the Celtics had. He earned 6 Defensive Player of the Year awards in his career.

Next, the new NBA start for the Celtics. Although the Celtics did not pick up the legendary Kevin Durant in the recruiting session, they did get Al Horford and drafted Jalen Brown. Hopefully that these new additions will help the Celtics improve and become a better team. These players will make a huge difference to the team, hopefully. If  we can make it to the playoffs and get passed the second round that would be awesome. Maybe even go the NBA Finals.

So today this article covered the history of the Celtics, some of their best players, and their new NBA start. Even if the Celtics don’t have their best players anymore, they still make a great team and are on to a great NBA start.

SOURCES

http://www.legendsofthefield.com/Kevin-Garnett-Larry-Bird-Paul-Pierce-Kevin-McHale-p/aaok247-c.htm

http://www.nba.com/celtics/

Sean J., Reporter

Sean J. is a 7th grader that currently attends Kraemer Middle School. Not only does he have good grades in all of his subjects, Sean works hard by putting...