Write a Novel In Thirty Days – Can You Do It?

During the month of November, in their Language Arts class, some of Kraemer’s seventh grade students were striving to complete their NaNoWriMo word goal, so they could publish a novel. National Novel Writing Month is a contest that takes place each year during November. Students can set a word goal, try to reach it and, if they win, they get to publish their book! This is officially the second year Kraemer Middle School has participated in this program, and the students who have participated have many mixed reviews on how they feel about NaNoWriMo.

Some of our Kraemer seventh graders have participated in NaNoWriMo before. Visha Bajaria, participant of three years, says, “the first two years were fun, but the second year I had to push myself to complete it. The last two years I did not have a word count I had to complete, so it was very overwhelming for me.” An eighth grader, Inaaya H., who participated in this activity, last year says, “It’s like giving birth, you are excited at first, but towards the middle you get very anxious about all the work. Near the end, you think why did I ever do this? After it is all over, you are happy because you have a book baby.”

Seventh grader Megan Nguyen, whose class is not participating in NaNoWriMo this year says that if she was given an option to write a novel in thirty days, she would most likely not participate. While, Caden Tran, a 2013 participant, says, “It’s a lot of work, but if I was given the choice to participate, I would still do it.”

Once November ended, all four classes that participated wrote a combined total of 2,425,852 words! Quite the accomplishment, although both Kraemer’s seventh and eighth grade students, have positive and negative reviews on the NaNoWriMo program.  If you were given the option to write a novel in thirty days, would you do it?