College Class on Beyoncé Feminism and Rihanna Womanism

Beyoncé and Rihanna are no longer just pretty faces- in fact, many college classes about their feminist qualities are taking shape! Professor Omise’eke Natasha Tinsley, a professor at University of Texas at Austin saw the amount of interest in women of color issues everywhere! “This school needs a class about Beyonce,” Tinsley realised. She found herself turning to videos by Beyoncé and Rihanna to explain academic reading material and to open up wider conversations.

Tinsley decided to start a class featuring the Queen herself,  “focusing on how the lyrics, music videos, and actions of Beyoncé and Rihanna express various aspects of black feminism such as violence, economic opportunity, and sexuality,” according to http://sites.utexas.edu/. Standards of beauty, and creative self-expression are also a huge part of this course, and this 85 student class is lready full with a wait list! A KMS 7th grader Kristen C. said, “I can understand why the class has a wait list, it sounds so cool!”

“I can officially graduate in December,” said student Robin Moten of UTA. “I’m putting it off one more semester, so I can take the Beyoncé/Rihanna class.” That quote goes to show how many people are excited for this class. Beyoncé has even referred to herself as a “modern-day feminist” and many students are looking forward to this class on Beyoncé feminism and Rihanna womanism.