Uniforms – Fashion Do or Fashion Don’t?

The issue of school uniforms has been going on for quite a long time – the result of bullying because some people don’t have the “right” clothes and refusal to follow dress codes. But are uniforms really beneficial to our education?

The First Amendment of the US Constitution guarantees that all individuals have the right to express themselves freely. Don’t school uniforms infringe on that right? Also, clothing is a great way to express support for organizations and causes. As most people know, October is national breast cancer awareness month. Around 75 students in October 2013 at Friendly High School in Prince George’s County MD were suspended for breaking the school’s uniform policy for wearing pink shirts to support the cause. In addition, according to http://school-uniforms.procon.org/,  it would be A LOT harder for parents to find their children in a crowd when everyone looks the same.

Kyle Sumter, a middle school student in Chicago wrote in the Huffington Post that: “They decide to teach us about people like Rosa Parks, Susan B. Anthony and Booker T. Washington… We learn about how these people expressed themselves… [but] we can’t even express ourselves in the hallways.”

In 2012, a peer-review study by University of Nevada researchers showed that 90% of seventh and eighth graders did not like uniforms. In Harford County, MD, 87.9% of public school students disliked the idea of uniforms, and in 2013 when uniforms became mandatory in Long Beach, CA, 81% of middle school students claimed that uniforms in fact did NOT reduce fights, 76% said that uniforms did NOT help them fit in at all in school, 69% said they did NOT feel more connected in the school community, and 71% said they felt absolutely no safer traveling to and from school.

These reasons prove why uniforms are a terrible idea for schools across America. When asked about the issue with school uniforms, eighth grader Tiffany K. said, “I don’t think uniforms are a good idea, because it would be easier for someone to blend in and sneak onto campus.”