What is NJHS?

What is NJHS?

What is NJHS? NJHS stands for National Junior Honor Society. NJHS is an international student organization that is mainly for middle school students. Leadership, Citizenship, Character, Service, and Scholarship. When it comes to sculpting a mental image of a productive citizen of the country, these are the traits that come to mind. In the student organization NJHS, the aforementioned values are taught and reinforced. NJHS was founded in 1929, almost one century ago, by the National Association of Secondary School Principals. A majority of its chapters are located in the United States and the United States territories. 

People often confuse NJHS with its high school counterpart, NHS. The National Honor Society is open only to tenth through twelfth-grade students, while NJHS accepts sixth through ninth-grade students. Students can be accepted by displaying “outstanding scholarship, character, leadership, service, and citizenship.” Once selected, members must maintain a 3.0 GPA, and members who deserve special recognition may receive honorary memberships. 

Students who join the organization gain multiple benefits that help them reach their goals and aspire to achieve. NJHS offers college admission and financial aid planning services, which is especially important for underprivileged students. They also offer scholarships such as the NJHS Outstanding Achievement Award, which annually recognizes 500 students with $500 towards their college funds. Members also complete service projects which lay the foundation to a successful leader. 

Chapters of NJHS are run by advisers local to each school. All faculty, except for principals and vice-principals, are allowed to participate in the organization as advisers. Advisers must learn to lead their chapter and use rulebooks and hand guides written by the NJHS, such as chapter bylaws, selection procedures, discipline and dismissal procedures, and chapter service projects. Mr. Stanley, the head of Kraemer’s NJHS program, explains what NJHS is, “National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is a Kraemer club for 8th graders who excel academically and are dedicated to giving back to their community. It is a nationally recognized program and is connected to the National Honor Society (NHS), which is for High School students. In NJHS, we have regular meetings, participate in community service events such as park cleanups, and provide after-school tutoring in the KMS library.”.