An Indian Medical Student Was Caught With An Implanted Device In His Ear

via Pixabay

As the competition to become doctors becomes fiercer than ever, some have resorted to cheating to pass these exams.

On February 21, 2022, a shocking scandal occurred at a college in Indore, India. This particular Monday, an anonymous Indian medical student was caught before an exam with a Bluetooth device surgically implanted in his ear. The incident took place in Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College. He had repeatedly failed his General Medicine exam since he got accepted into the college 11 years ago and had one last chance to pass it.

The intense competition in India’s medical schools has resulted in a series of cheating scandals in recent years. Before the exam began, all students had to hand over all electronic devices. Little did the student know that he would shortly be frisked by an invigilator squad, who discovered a cell phone inside of a pocket in his pants. The inspectors of The Daily Mail then found a skin-colored implant inserted deeply in the student’s ear – which was supposed to give him answers to the test. He wasn’t, however, the only cheater in the room. School officials had also discovered another student with a small SIM-powered phone and a Bluetooth gadget in his ear. However, unlike the first, this second hearing aid was not medically placed and was simply removed with a pin. After both of their gadgets were seized, both kids were handed new answer sheets.

While it is questionable why they were allowed to continue after being identified as cheaters, they probably would undoubtedly face major consequences. The college has already begun investigating each instance to decide whether or not it is necessary to alert the police – as the students lied and used unfair means during an exam. For years, ever-increasing inventive methods of cheating have been common at India’s competitive medical colleges. With the number of aspiring doctors far outnumbering the number of professional and educational positions available, Indians have gone to great lengths to distinguish themselves from others. In March 2015, the state of Madhya Pradesh was rocked by a national scandal known as the Vyapam cheating scam. Several people were arrested for leaking questions, altering answer sheets, and even employing proxies to take the tests for them. When it was determined that this had occurred between 2008 to 2013, the Supreme Court of India revoked the licenses of 634 doctors – with no telling how many more had gotten away with it. “It is very easy to get Bluetooth fitted in the ears,” Dr. Anand Rai, an informant in the affair, stated. “It is attached to the ear temporarily and can be removed. Such a technique was used by a Vyapam scam accused who took his medical exam eight years ago.”

Nonetheless, rampant cheating has persisted. In 2015, police in Manhar, Bihar, watched hundreds of people scale the walls of the Vidya Niketan school in order to deliver answers to test-takers. Hundreds of people, including parents, were arrested, and at least 750 kids were expelled as a result. Last September, ten students were arrested for wearing Bluetooth-enabled flip-flops while taking a trainee teacher exam. The devices were receiving phone calls, which were then wirelessly transferred to secondary devices in their ears. In the case of the most recent event in Indore, the sentence is still unknown. “We think these microphones were surgically fitted in the ears of both the students,” said Renu Jain, the vice-chancellor of the invigilator squad. “Cases have been prepared against both the students. A committee of DAVV will take a decision in this regard”. Cheating is common in India’s highly competitive medical school exams, and officials have struggled in recent years to prevent students from employing increasingly sophisticated means of cheating to pass.