Students’ Opinions on Sleep

Students Opinions on Sleep

Sleep is essential for a healthy and functioning body. It restores energy, slowing and relaxing the body to prepare it for the next day. Focus, alertness, and physical performance heavily rely on sleep. Though sleep is extremely important, many students have lost hours to homework, hobbies, extracurriculars, and more.

The amount of sleep needed for a person depends on their age. Infants need a lot of rest, over ten hours because their bodies are still developing. Sleep energizes, repairs, and gives the body time to grow. Growing children need sleep for their bodies to develop as well. The older the person, the less sleep they need because their body has already grown.    

A thirteen-year-old should get eight or nine hours of sleep every night. Eleven- and twelve-year-olds should sleep for at least nine hours, and fourteen-year-olds should sleep for eight hours at a minimum. Though some have a healthy sleep schedule, many students at Kraemer do not get eight hours of sleep every night. The average hours of sleep that students get are seven and a half hours, which does not meet any of the standards. 

The students who get enough sleep know that it is important for them to reenergize their bodies for success and a good mood the next day. Some enjoy sleep because it is an escape from reality. They are able to accomplish a healthy sleep schedule by going to sleep early, waking up late, or both. These students perform well in academics, hobbies, and extracurriculars while having a positive attitude. 

However, the students who get seven hours of sleep don’t get enough because they feel like they don’t need it. They say that they don’t get that much sleep because they have better and more important things to do or that they aren’t tired until late at night. Many of them indulge in hobbies and extracurriculars, are hardworking and persevering, and maintain good grades in school. 

Seven hours is not a healthy amount of sleep, and anything less is even worse. Some students get only five hours of sleep or less nightly. Those who get little to no sleep are mostly stressed, anxious, and overworked. They have a lot on their plates, days usually filled with extracurriculars, homework, pleasant and unpleasant distractions, nights of restlessness, and rushing thoughts. Though they are in desperate need of more sleep, they continue to push through and work hard every day. 

It is a sad truth, but many students of Kraemer suffer from lack of sleep. Whatever the reason, they should try not to overwork themselves and take some time out of their nights to reenergize their bodies.