KMS Anti-Bullying

KMS+Anti-Bullying

Bullying policies extend across school districts worldwide, enforcing a varying message that essentially says the same thing, “bullying is not tolerated.” PYLUSD, Kraemer specifically, does not condone any activity that threatens the wellbeing of its students and enforces rules in the best interests of their safety.

Bullying is a social phenomenon that extends beyond school-age aggression. Traditional bullying frequency tends to increase in elementary to middle school adolescent transition. The components of bullying consist of the repeated occurrence of verbal, relational, or physical harm by a bully, who is perceived as higher in power than the victim, with the intent to cause harm to the victim. There is a relationship between traditional bullying victimization and being a bully, and mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, psychosomatic complaints, and ideas of suicide.

PYLUSD sets district-wide standards on how students should behave, its policy outlining what bullying is, strategies, and the gender tendencies in bullying. The district has no tolerance for disruptiveness and creating a climate of fear in a school setting, making the explicit statement, “No student shall engage in hazing, participate in hazing, or commit any act that causes, or is likely to cause bodily danger, physical harm, or personal degradation or disgrace resulting in physical or mental harm to any fellow student.” Some of the strategies PYLUSD covers in their policy are physical, verbal, social, and electronic forms of bullying. 

The staff at KMS prioritizes the physical and psychological safety of their students. Kraemer has taken several courses of action to combat bullying. Text-a-tip is a hotline accessible to students who are either aware of bullying or are a victim of bullying. These initial purposes of the hotline have extended beyond this. Anyone with concerns regarding the school can anonymously be connected with a staff member. Not only does Kraemer express concerns with traditional bullying, but cyberbullying. KMS stresses the importance of digital citizenship, holding an assembly on the subject in October. Student harassment on social media platforms is an easier form of bullying that can influence several complicated mental health issues. Studies show the direct correlation of cyberbullying to anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, and feelings of worthlessness.

Bullying thrives in school environments, especially during adolescent ages. Kraemer and PYLUSD’s bullying policy prohibits any form of intentional harm or intimidation towards other students. Kraemer is diligent in their rule enforcement, making consequences and risk factors strong in bullying prevention. KMS continues to develop ways to prevent bullying.