Staff Spotlight: Mrs. Filipescu

Mrs. Filipescu works at Kraemer Middle School as a Spanish teacher. She presently teaches Spanish to students in grades 7 and 8. Mrs. Filipescu has been teaching for 23 years, all of which have been spent at Kraemer. She enjoys teaching for a variety of reasons and has had a positive learning experience thus far.

Mrs. Filipescu was born in the Romanian capital of Bucharest, and her birthday is June 3rd. She went to Romanian elementary and middle schools in Romania before moving to the United States when she was 14 years old. She subsequently began attending Magnolia High School in Anaheim, then went on to Cal State Fullerton and Chapman University, where she studied biology and Spanish. Students in Romania saw international films from a variety of countries, which is how Mrs. Filipescu discovered her passion for languages. In addition, in elementary school, students were required to learn a language that the school chose for them. She studied Russian and English in elementary and middle school, and Spanish in high school. She maintained her Spanish studies in college and studied Portuguese and Japanese, as well as French, Italian, and Russian outside of school.

She majored in Spanish in college because she enjoyed learning the language and wanted to finish it for fun. She also concentrated in biology because her original ambition was to become a pharmacist, which her mother, who worked in the medical area, suggested would be a great profession. She did, however, become a teacher for an unusual reason. Mrs. Filipescu was already employed by the district, and her boss kept contacting her and urging her to pursue a career as a teacher. “A Spanish position has opened up; you should apply,” that same lady informed Mrs. Filipescu one day. She eventually went to the interview, and at the end of the day, she was offered the job.

Mrs. Filipescu has a wonderful family. It consists of her husband, Dorian, her 17-year-old daughter Audrey, and her 13-year-old daughter Tessa. She met her husband in 2003 at a Romanian event, and they have been married for 18 years.

Sushi, Korean barbeque, menudo, and tongue tacos are among Mrs. Filipescu’s favorite dishes. She also enjoys traveling and has visited 14 countries, all of which she adores because they are all distinctive in their own way. Her current favorite song is ‘No Lo Tengo’, which she found on the Señor Wooly website, which develops music and assists kids with their Spanish comprehension. She enjoys traveling, reading, and dining out with her family in her spare time. Of all the things she enjoys, studying and practicing languages is her absolute favorite. She is currently fluent in English, Spanish, Romanian, Portuguese, and French, and she aspires to learn many more languages in the future.