Should Music Be Allowed in the Classroom?

Music is a very important part of life for some people

Music has always been an essential part of life. People dance to it, sing along with it, and play it when they feel down. However, many students around the world aren’t allowed to listen to music during their classes. They should be able to, as music can benefit students in many ways, and it is unfair that they cannot access it during school time. 

One of the best things about music is that it allows people to calm down and encourages them to work better in silence. Although it is true that really loud music can be a distraction, most students would be content not to blast whatever they are listening to at full volume. Music can help focus when used reasonably. Students can use earbuds, so they do not bother each other. Furthermore, listening to music can cause happiness, and happy students can face learning with a more positive attitude. Knowing students’ music preferences can help connect to them!

As stated by Chris Brewer, the founder of LifeSounds Educational Services, in a 2016 article by The Guardian, “Music is a very useful tool in such situations. It provides non-invasive noise and pleasurable feelings to effectively neutralize the unconscious attention system’s ability to distract us. Students of all ages–that includes adults– generally find that music helps them focus more clearly on the task at hand and puts them in a better mood for learning.” Brewer makes an important point that music can help take students’ attention away from distractions that would get in the way of learning.

Concentrating during school is important, and music can help students do exactly that. Many students report that listening to music helps them concentrate, especially with written assignments. Music can also help develop language skills and can regulate moods, reducing aggression, fear, and anxiety, giving students a more positive attitude. 

Overall, listening to music improves learning. Music can motivate students and keep students’ attention away from outside distractions, such as other students. Schools would easily be able to create school-approved playlists, which students could listen to freely. Music can help people remember facts and process information. Listening to music can help students learn, which is what going to school is all about. Just because someone once said that music shouldn’t be allowed in school doesn’t mean that that is right. It is unreasonable to ban students from listening to music, and this rule shouldn’t exist.