Newsome’s Vaccine Mandate

Wikimedia Commons

Governor Newsom giving a speech at San Francisco

Many states throughout the country share the lack of one particular regulation, which is a vaccine mandate focussed on scholars. One certain state, however, has decided to impose that regulation. In California, Governor Gavin Newsome has released an executive order to require vaccines for all students. Many of the students’ guardians are unhappy with this decision, but some support it. How will this be handled?
Governor Newsome announced his decision to mandate vaccines for students on October 1st, 2021, at a news conference held at James Denman Middle School in San Francisco. He said the mandate wouldn’t go into effect until the government has approved the Covid-19 vaccine for various grade levels. Newsome currently focuses on two age groups to get vaccines, 5 to 11 and 12 to 15. Students in grades 7th to 12th will probably get their vaccines sometime in July or later. However, students in kindergarten through 6th grade will have to wait longer for their vaccine, as the government still hasn’t approved a dosage suitable for them.
The government has already approved some safe and sufficient vaccines for people over the age of 16 years old. Since the government has not yet deemed any vaccines that won’t harm children between ages 12 through 15, they are currently using the vaccines approved for 16-year-olds as an emergency.
The mandate affects over 6.7 million children in public & private schools. Those who don’t want to get the vaccine can be exempted from it for medical reasons along with personal and religious beliefs. The rules for each exemption will be written after hearing public feedback. Students without exemptions and vaccines will be forced to be homeschooled.
Most schoolchildren in California have already, at least, received their first shot, and 70% of those students are already fully vaccinated. Most adults are fully vaccinated as well, giving California one of the highest vaccination rates in the country. Despite this, some Californians are still very skeptical about the safety of vaccines. Thousands have even gathered at the state Capitol to protest against the vaccine mandate.
Newsome wasn’t the first to impose vaccine mandates in California, though. Before him, five school districts decided to require students to get vaccinated if they wanted to attend. Two of those school districts are in San Diego and Los Angeles. However, some school districts are rejecting policies imposed by the state. One school in Kentucky overturned a statewide law that forced both students and staff to wear masks.
Newsome has been criticized in the past for how he was handling the pandemic and was nearly recalled for his incompetence. Now, it seems he’s trying to do better by
keeping students and their families safe from the monstrous virus. Many may not support him, but at least this new mandate shows that he’s trying harder.