CDC’s New Guidelines for Schools

CDC's New Guidelines for Schools

The CDC, or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is the nation’s public health agency organization dedicated to protecting people from all health-related matters. In the present, the CDC is currently busy and occupied with Coronavirus situations. This has been impacting society negatively, as observed by many. The COVID-19 virus is the topic of many sources, especially with it affecting people’s health all around the world. As of now, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is still researching how to make progress with this virus, updating information on the following topics of Disease & Conditions, Healthy Living, Traveler’s Health, and Emergency Preparation (found on the CDC website). Among these sections, a common similarity between the four is the well-being of citizens. The Coronavirus has spread widely, decreasing the health levels of, especially, adults and the elderly. Although it’s been proven that this virus strikes more towards older people, children are also influenced by the pandemic. School is one of the most important conflicts faced to solve with adolescents as the pandemic started in the early months of 2020. Many citizens wondered about the methods in which to take to satisfy this problem. As a solution, CDC came up with guidelines that described the precautions districts must follow for a safe transition back into in-person learning. Skipping ahead to now, new changes have been implemented to the original guidelines. What are these new changes for the precautionary measures, why did they change, and what are their benefits?

Elaborating more about education as introduced above, the main issue with young kids during this time is their education. Providing a knowledgeable base for children is a top priority, and with COVID-19 around, it has been difficult to accomplish this. Due to the pandemic, all students received schooling online, but sufficient progress has been made. In the later months of 2020, schools in districts started going hybrid, alternating groups/cohorts of students each day, where a population of some kids stayed online while the rest went to school. For instance, Group A of students went to school on Mondays and Tuesdays, whereas Group B of students went to school Thursdays and Fridays, and Group C staying online all week. In order to approach this type of system, CDC introduced guidelines with safety measures for hybrid learning within schools. The first guideline consisted of rules such as distancing desks six feet apart, having glass or plastic shields around desks, social distancing between students and adults at the campus at all times, and making sure to wear a mask. Sticking to this guideline for approximately half a year, it became time to step up the game and update some new rules onto the guidelines. CDC announced its new guidelines on March 19, 2021, surprising many people with all sorts of different reactions.

Continuing on, the new guideline had some revisions and rules where the physical distancing recommendations became three feet instead of six, clean ventilation became needed for schools, desk shields were no longer needed, etc. The new guideline startled many people who were still worried about the Coronavirus affecting students and children. To satisfy these worries, CDC explained the reasons behind the update on their newly implemented precautions. Based on months of research, they have found there is no clear evidence suggesting that keeping six feet apart slows the spread of the virus within adolescents in schools (along with other reasons to back up their decisions). In addition to this, through scientific research, it’s also been proven that there’s less risk of chance that kids are going to be seriously affected by the virus. These facts helped support CDC’s decisions and the development of their new guidelines for 2021.

There are many benefits that come along with this new document for districts. CDC’s advanced strategy can provide better education pathways in schools for in-person learning, taking into consideration that everyone follows the instructions as provided. If this new method gets through, students would be able to experience more of campus life and meet new peers and staff members. Additionally, kids in need of special care would be able to receive the attention they need with this newly up-to-date guideline as well. The main intention of the CDC in creating this was for the sake of students and school staff. In doing this, numerous things would be able to regulate back to normal (or at least as close as possible) and children and adults would find more comfort from all the chaos. If heading into the right path and taking smart steps, 2021 could become the year where sufficient progress is made for education, allowing all in-person learning instead of wacky hybrid schedules.

Summing everything up, with the Coronavirus around, there have been multiple changes made to adapt to this new situation. Many suffered (and still is) from the ongoing pandemic and a lot of worries have been present in populations. One of the main problems introduced was the education for students, who questioned how school life would be from now on. With great research and collected information, CDC found a new way to provide students with better education experiences in schools for in-person learning. The new guidelines have more accommodations and revisions that are yet to be implemented but will be done soon in the month of April.