What is Danganronpa?

Danganronpa is a Japanese visual novel franchise, Kazutaka Kodaka, created and published by Spike Chunsoft in 2010. So far, the franchise includes four console games and two major anime series. The latest game in the series is Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony. Danganronpa V3 was released in Japan on January 12th, 2017, and soon released worldwide on September 26th, 2017. The series follows 16 talented high school students locked up inside Hope’s Peak Academy, their high school. The students meet up in the gym, where they are threatened by an anthropomorphic bear telling them that they only have one way out, and that is to murder another student and not be found out at the class trial. 

This series starts with Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. In the game, people who play Danganronpa are in control of the protagonist, the average normal boy Mokoto Naegi. Naegi is known as (Super High School Level) Ultimate Lucky Student for being chosen in a high-stakes lottery to attend Hope’s Peak Academy, the best school on the land which has top students from around the world. On his first day, Naegi passed out and woke up in a classroom with 15 other students. The doors and windows that had led to the outside world had been sealed with unmovable iron plates. There are monitors and cameras in every single room, and the 16 students there are the only living people inside the school. They are met with an anthropomorphic bear named Monokuma that talks like an Elmo doll and with a cute laugh but is really serious about his command for the respect of the given rules that these students are in a killing game. 

The students are to kill another student in order to escape this ‘prison’ they are in. If the murderer is not suspected in the class trials, they will be able to leave while all of the other students get executed. However, if the murder is found out, they will be the only student to get executed. Everyday actions of the students are being broadcasted and shown to the outside world. The students had fought against Monokuma’s crazy demands, but a sacrifice had been made when Junko Enoshima Ultimate “Fashionista” had used physical violence. The students must listen to the rules and attend the class trials, or they would face the same fate as Junko. 

There are three more games in the series known as, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls, and Danganronpa V3: Killing harmony. Danganronpa 2 and 3 are the same as Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc but with different settings, characters, and masterminds. Danganronpa Another Episode is different from the other Danganronpa games because it is a third-person adventure shooter game where the person plays as Komaru Naegi as she tries to survive in a city overrun by Monokuma Units with her partner, Toko Fukawa/Genocider Syo.