Should Danganronpa be Played by Children 12 and Under

MAJOR TW: MENTIONS OF BL0OD, G0RE, AND D3ATH

Children under the age of 12 should be able to play any of the Danganronpa games. 

The Danganronpa franchise is made up of 4 main games and a few fan games. The 3 most popular games are, Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Super Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, and Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony. The 4th game that isn’t talked about as much is Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls. 

The main plot of Danganronpa is that a bunch of, usually 15-16, highschool students are going to Hope’s Peak Academy. The entire cast then realizes that they aren’t really going to high school, but are instead trapped in a killing game, and the only way to leave safely is to kill a classmate. For this reason, children under the age of 12 should not be able to play Danganronpa. the game gets worse, with executions and terrible backstories. The executions are part of the class trials. Every time 3 or more people find a body, a bell goes off. That bell represents the start of their investigation time. Eventually, the investigation time will end, and they will all walk into a courtroom. The class trial will start, most are about an hour long. There are little minigames that you play throughout the trial, and if you mess up, you restart. Eventually, you find the culprit, and a screen of their death plays, with a name related to their talent, or Ultimate. Each character has an Ultimate talent, meaning they are the best at what they do. The Ultimate Chef’s execution was a mix of his talent and his name “Deep Fried Teruteru” and the Ultimate Entomologist “Wild West Insecticide”. These executions, or punishments, vary from electrocution to stabbing, being impaled, being crushed, exploding, burning, etc. You can tell this is an EXTREMELY violent game, and most kids shouldn’t be exposed to such violence. It does get worse however, it isn’t necessary to continue. 

Among the students, there is a mastermind, and when there are about 5-6 students left, they will reveal themselves, and they will start their last trial. The game will eventually end, with only 5-6 students remaining. They all find a way out at the end, and the game is over. 

It’s incredibly violent and not good for younger audiences. They even put an age limit for the game to make sure that younger children don’t play the game. It does cost money to get the game so the parents would probably realize what it was if they were asked to buy it. It’s based on the parental choices that are made when looking at the game. If the parent gets it, that’s not bad parenting, it’s just risky. The game does teach you to be wary of people you don’t know, as they show this through erasing any memories the students had of each other and making them start anew. They wake up and only know where they are, they know nothing about each other. They start being friends to gain trust, yes, but not one of them actually trust each other, as you see later on. All in all, this game should NOT be played by younger children, it could cause serious trauma.