Should Schools Have Mandatory Life Classes

Ethan Y.

A growing child learning how to handle money as part of life skills classes.

While schools may teach subjects like math, history, science, and language arts, they don’t teach life skills. 18-year-olds go out into the world without any knowledge of what to do or how to provide for themselves. While some high schools have programs about life skills, they aren’t required. Schools should make it mandatory to teach kids about what to do about life after high school and college when they go into the real world.

When a student reaches 18 years of age, they should know how to be an adult. However, many people do not know what to do when living on their own once they come out of school. High school may teach what academics one needs before college, but it does not teach life skills. High schools also do not teach about what career one should take. It does not tell kids about how to manage one’s own finances and solve real world problems.

While high level math like calculus and high level science like quantum physics may be good for a student to learn, they have little to no application in basic daily life. Unless one wishes to pursue a career based on math and academics, some subjects that school teaches like calculus are less necessary than basic life skills. After high school, graduates seeking a better education go to college and live on their own or with roommates. They start becoming independent and they start entering adulthood. Because they never were taught important life skills earlier in high school, they don’t start right.

If schools had mandatory life skill classes, it could help young adults adjust into adulthood way easier. Basic skills like cooking, cleaning, buying products, and managing finances would be very beneficial for a young adult to learn. Since some young adults don’t know how to do some of these skills, they turn to paying people to do it for them. Online shopping, food delivery, and other services have become very popular in the past decade. This doesn’t allow the young adult to learn how to do things on their own and rather makes them consume money very fast and become dependent on various services. Although there are some life skill classes at certain high schools, none of them are mandatory. If they were, they could lower the amount of high school dropouts and give young adults a better future.

To conclude, schools should have mandatory life skill classes because it would help young adults and students with the rest of their entire life. Instead of learning things that a person would barely use, it would be more beneficial to learn life skills. Mandatory life skill classes would save future adults and kids currently in school. Life skill classes aren’t just important, they should be mandatory.