Poetry Club

Poetry club Leader and helping teacher holding poster for poetry club.

Kathleen S.

Every Wednesday, Room 705 holds the Poetry Club, during Pride. It is happily run by Ariana P. and Chris J., two eighth-graders who teach and organize each meeting in Mrs. Steuber’s classroom. During the beginning of the school year, GATE 8th grade students were introduced some forms of poetry sparking interest of a few people. The club was created this year as an opportunity for kids to learn more and refine their knowledge of poetry and other forms of writing. You may often hear Ariana on the announcements encouraging the students of Kraemer Middle to attend Poetry Club every Wednesday for five-star points and candy. 

One of the perks of Poetry Club is that anyone can join the club without having to sign up. They can just come into Room 705 without any notice and will be immediately welcomed. It is perfect for those who are interested in poetry but don’t want to commit to joining the club all year. Poetry Club helps dive more into the art and history of poetry by writing creative poems and other styles of writing. Students who come can earn candy as well and receive five-star points just for participating. Not only that, but joining the club and writing a poem also adds extra credit to language arts no matter what class. Even for those who aren’t interested in the club but are struggling in language arts, they can easily bring their grades up by simply attending Poetry Club once a week.

The club leaders Ariana and Chris present slideshows and explain in-depth more about famous poets like Robert Frost, Walt Whitman, Maya Angelou, and others. They also show and interpret famous pieces explaining the deeper meaning of them. After a few weeks of history and the basic forms of poetry, students of the club begin to write their poems. Not only that, but Poetry Club offers an opportunity to practice speech by having an open-mic reading as each student can hear others and share their work. 

Poetry Club is a very fun and exciting chance for those who learn more about the techniques and the art of poetry. Students can express themselves in their poetry and be inspired by famous poets as well. Core language arts classes aren’t often profound when teaching poetry with so much ground to cover each year. Joining this club will allow students to understand poetry with more insight and of course having fun with their friends!