Chicago Teachers Go on Strike

Chicago teachers want a good contract, and the students want them to have a good contract too, so they can go back to school

On September 10, 2019 the teachers of Chicago decided to go on strike. They   went on strike because they felt they weren’t getting paid enough, didn’t have job security, and needed more benefits. Administrators tried to vary the teachers salary depending on how their students performed on assessments. In 2012 the teachers and staff of Chicago also went on strike, however that strike lasted for only 7 days. The longest Chicago teacher strike occured in 1987 and lasted 19 days. The strike of 2019 currently has no end in sight.

During the 2019 teacher strike students are not attending school because their teachers are not teaching. Parents are upset because of the education that the students will miss. Parents are getting even more angry due to the fact they need their child at school for child care. Some parents with young kids, who can not be left alone, are hoping the strike will come to an end soon. The parents need to work to earn a living, but the kids can’t be left by themselves.  Many parents want better conditions for the teachers, but also need the strike to be over if they are going to keep food in the fridge and a roof over their families heads.

A few parents whose children are at home have started marching with the union. One mother named Rebecca Weinberg whose child attends New Field elementary school, was neutral about the strike when it first began. Now she is marching along side the union. 

Lori Lightfoot, the Mayor of Chicago, is also now supporting the strike. Because of her opinion many of her supporters have begun to support the strike as well. Mayor, Lightfoot has a lot of publicity and is making a stand. The more she talks about the teachers the more people are changing stands. She even got some people with power in Chicago to begin bargaining. In the beginning they would not budge but as time goes on they are getting more lenient.

Although the strike is not seeing the end the teachers and staff of Chicago are making big strides.