Should Schools Require Uniforms?

A group of students wearing school uniforms.

via. Flickr

Students and scholars around the world have been debating a topic that has been lingering between the students and teachers for a long time. The controversial question that is argued is if students should be required to wear uniforms. There are pros and cons to both dressing in diverse clothes and dressing in school’s attire that are still debated today.

Although there are a lot of reasons to support school uniforms, there is also a lot of cons to wearing the dreaded uniforms. Some cons to wearing school uniforms are that the students would not have freedom in what they want to wear. If a student can’t wear what they want to wear in school, that they go to every day, they might feel just average and not special. This would impact a student’s mind, and they would always just think they are like everyone else, and will not have the creativity in picking out clothes for the day. 

Another reason why wearing school uniforms would be a bad decision is because school uniforms just would not work in public schools. According to David L. Brunsma, professor of sociology at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, he states that “school uniforms, as a policy and strategy, do not play a role in producing more parental involvement, increased preparedness, positive approaches toward learning, pro-school attitudes, a heightened feeling of school unity and safety, or positive school climates.”

Wearing school uniforms could also put more tax dollars into public schools to pay for the school uniforms every student has to wear. This can put families that were in a financial struggle into an even bigger debt because they need to pay more money to enroll their child into a public school. As some families are not as financially challenged as others, it would be unfair for parents to be required to pay for uniforms that others can afford, but harder for the financially challenged families to buy. For parents that cannot afford the uniforms, might have to work harder at work, or work overtime, just so their child can go to a public school.

Many different perspectives can be created from this debate, but a topic like this cannot be decidable by just one person. Whether one person prefers school uniforms or argues that school uniforms should not be allowed, the simple yet strong debate still continues.