Online Versus Traditional Learning- Which is Better?

The modern school system that everyone knows today emerged in the 1760s, and even now the basic principles haven’t changed. However, while education has always been done face-to-face, there is a new type of schooling on the rise, online learning. This method brings up a new debate- which is better- online or traditional school? The answer is not as simple as many may think.

There are many pros for online learning, as well as some cons. First of all, online learning offers flexibility. Classes revolve around the student’s schedule. While classes will give out the same amount of material, if they have other commitments, it will be easier to work around. Another pro is that videos and lectures can be reviewed as many times as one would like, at any time. These lectures can be paused, skipped around, and repeated. Students also don’t have to carry around backpacks chock full of notes and textbooks. They can log in and therefore learn from anywhere.

On the other hand, online learning requires motivation and responsibility. Studying in the comfort of student’s homes’ doesn’t exactly inspire the same motivation that it does in a real classroom. This means that students that lack desire may easily fail their classes. Another issue is that since there is no real human interaction, scholars that are social learners may not do as well, and may feel isolated from the teacher and classmates.

Just like online learning, face-to-face learning has many advantages and disadvantages to it. First of all, any questions that students have can be answered right off the bat, instead of having to wait for an online lecturer to reply. Many pupils feel more motivated in a classroom setting. Also, face-to-face learning adds a new level of personality to education. Also, experiences in a real classroom are more likely to be remembered. According to LinkedIn, “Richness of information and memorable experiences are deduced through behavior and body language including one’s mannerisms, gestures, tone, language and volume of voice. Face-to-face communication allows the entire experience to not only be heard but also seen and felt.”

However, in a classroom setting, certain assertive personalities stifle more shy students, which sometimes makes them less likely to ask for help. Also, while in an online classroom, they may feel more open. Not only that, but the traditional education system is not flexible at all- instead of students’ schooling revolving around their own schedule in online learning, the schedule revolves around the schooling.

Unfortunately, there is no straight answer to this controversial topic. Some people simply do better in online learning, while other people are better suited for traditional face-to-face learning. Students who learn better in a personal relation to teachers and fellow pupils are would benefit best in traditional classroom environments. However, learners who are of the quieter type and have proved to be self-motivated and responsible may find online learning more fitting.