Is the Education System Flawed?

Education is perhaps one of the world’s most important concepts in the world. It shapes our future and provides us knowledge of the world around us, yet, the classroom has barely changed in the last fifty years. Teachers, who may have one of the most important jobs in the world are underpaid. Students are given large textbooks when all the world’s information can be found in their pockets. Schools are supposed to prepare students for the real world but when was the last time someone factored a binomial or needed to use MLA format. However, the blame can’t be placed on teachers and principals. The Secretary of Education, Betsy Devos, has never attended a public school,  has never sent her children to a public school, has little experience in a school environment, and has no education degree. In fact, the Secretaries of Education under Presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton did not graduate with a degree in education.

According to the OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development), the average US student is almost a year behind the average OECD student in math. On average, math students in South Korea are more than a year ahead than US students. Also, teaching jobs in foreign countries are more competitive. In Finland, the acceptance rate into University of Helsinki’s teacher education program was lower than both its law and medical school programs. In Finland, teachers are free from restraints like standardized testing and inspection and students never take a test in their first 6 years of education. Schools are responsible for their own curriculum. This education system is vastly different from the Common Core and state testing system of the United States, and OECD results show that Finland does a better job of teaching their students. The inventor of standardized tests, also known as bubble and multiple choice tests, Frederk J. Kelly agreed that these tests were inaccurate and crude methods of measuring learning. He never intended these tests to become wide-spread yet they are now used in college acceptance tests and graduate and professional schools. Standardized tests were first invented in 1914 to quickly process mass waves of students but 100 years later they are still being used. The multiple choice In the US, students compete against each other for top grades. Most school assignments force students to work independentlyand don’t allow students to work together and collaborate. Collaborative projects allow students to learn social skills, how to work in groups, and help their fellow students on concepts they might not understand.

The US education system is falling behind foreign counterparts. It is outdated and struggling to adapt to the modern world.