Filed under Features

Stanford Admission Scandal

Stanford is a prestigious and well known school, but it has recently had an admissions scandal.

via Flickr

Stanford is one of the top schools in the world, prestigious and known for its academics, wealth, and great reputation as a school. However, it has recently had scandals in which students have been accepted into the schools by bribing those in a high ranking position. This has led to an investigation where multiple celebrities, coaches, students and businesses men have been exposed.

Those related to the incident have started to face consequences as Stanford is cracking down on the people involved. Stanford recently expelled a student who had put false material into their college application saying, “We determined that some of the material in the student’s application is false, and, in accordance with our policies, have rescinded admission. Any credits earned have also been vacated. The student is no longer on Stanford’s campus.” on their website. Students are not the only ones that have been caught and punished. Stanford sailing coach, Joe Vandemoer has also pleaded guilty to the charges of conspiracy and has since been fired from his job. He has falsely nominated some students as sailing recruits when they haven’t had any previous sailing experience. The total amount of money that was used as bribes amounts to around $770,000.

Stanford is not the only college who has had these admission scandals. Other prestigious schools such as UCLA, Yale, USC, and others have all experienced scandals such as the Stanford one. All these college scandals resulted in the arrest of around 50 people, 33 of them being wealthy parents. This is due to a scheme that was planned, which was to either cheat on the SAT, ACT, or other standardized tests and/or bribe coaches to bring in students as fake athlete recruits. Rick Singer, the whole mastermind behind this scheme has pleaded guilty to multiple crimes and has since worked and cooperated with prosecutors.

Among the 33 wealthy parents, the celebrity couple, Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli have yet to plead guilty. Others of the 33 have already pleaded guilty, but the Loughlin and Giannulli couple are hoping to let the case play out. The couple is accused of paying $500,000 dollars as bribes to get their two daughters into the University of Southern California (USC) as crew recruits, although both their daughters have not played that sport. If found guilty, the couple could face up to 20 years in prison.

In conclusion, these scandals are still being solved and investigated. It is hoped that the truth is revealed soon and that justice will soon be served to the guilty.

William S., Editor

William Song is an eighth grader who attends Kraemer Middle School. This year is his second year in Newspaper and he is excited to work for the Cub Reporter...