Filed under Features

Floating Cities, The Savior of Humankind

As we run out of natural resources and land, should we as humans turn towards floating cities?

via Wikipedia

As global warming gets more and more severe, scientists begin to worry about what the world will look like in several hundred years. It is predicted that locations such as Wall Street in New York, Miami Florida, and Shanghai will be almost completely submerged in less than a hundred years. However, an entrepreneur in the United Nations came up with an idea that could save mankind. His idea is the concept of floating cities, that use smart tech and recycling to stay above the rising ocean and extend the lifetime of human civilization on Earth. The idea is not to have all of humankind living at sea, but rather build small towns of hexagonal platforms that can hold 300 people, and then link them together to create communities of around 10,000 people total.

The idea was created by Mark Collins Chen, the former Minister of Tourism in Polynesia, which is another location predicted to be submerged in the near future. In 2018, Chen founded a company known as Oceanix, whose purpose was to construct offshore structures that could support human life independently of those on-shore. The communities will be anchored to the sea-floor, a necessary step to make sure the communities don’t float away. To help create a foundation, Oceanix plans to use a material known as “biorock”, where small electric bursts are used to stimulate limestone growth from ocean mineral deposits, which also happens to be very eco-friendly and is currently used to help grow coral reefs.

The use of hexagonal platforms for the communities serves a very direct purpose, rather than just giving the communities a Utopian look. As the smaller towns are linked together, the hexagonal shape of the platforms helps them link together from any direction, and form larger structures. These communities would also have little problem being self sustainable, as they have an unlimited source of water and food can easily be grown on the open surface of the platforms that make up the structures. To manage the population, these communities would be located nearby any place with risk of being submerged, connected to a single port. As the threat of the land sinking grows, more people would be allowed to travel to the communities. If structures in one community are no longer needed, the platforms are detached and transported to a different community.

As the threat of global warming grows, we humans will need to adapt to our changing environment. These floating cities may be the solutions that humans have been looking for. They are easily self-sustainable, they can be easily repaired and buildings can be transferred between them, and they have no need to fear of the rising ocean.

Colin M., Co-Editor in Chief

Colin M. is an 8th-grader at Kraemer Middle School. He has an older brother and sister as well as a dog named Chloe who he loves very much. His brother...