A Goodbye to the Department of Homeland Security Secretary

Kristjen Nielsen

via Wikimdia Commons

Kristjen Nielsen

Terrorism has been on the rise since the tragic attack on the World Trade Center on 9/11. Luckily for the U.S., the Department of Homeland Security actively works to stop terrorism. The Department of Homeland Security helps control the borders so that no suspicious actions happen and protects the citizens of the United States from all threats. The Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security resigned on April 7, hoping to end the immigration tyranny of President Trump.

Trump was furious at Kirstjen Nielsen and threatened to fire her for her atrocious behavior and her lack of diligence against Mexican immigration. Trump’s lack of patience was at its peak when Nielsen didn’t prevent Central American migrants reaching the border near San Diego. Fortunately, Nielsen seemed to regain her control and ordered agents to fire tear gas at the immigrants, which was something Trump acknowledged. Nielsen also managed to negotiate a policy known as the Migrant Protection Protocol, which required refugees to wait in Mexico while asylum cases were working their way through the U.S. courts. However, Nielsen still wasn’t able to lower the migrant rates and was unable to place Trump

The Secretary of Homeland Secretary tried harder and harder and, on Thursday of April 4, demanded other cabinet members to help her at the border. She stated there would be daily calls to enforce her plans to make immediate progress. On purpose or not, there was a clear lack of compliments directed to Nielsen even with her new plans, which foreshadowed her inevitable demise.

Democrats were pushing the President to remove her from office. Everyone criticized that her tenure was a “disaster from the start,” including House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson.

Kirstjen Nielsen wrote her resignation letter on April 7th and planned to resign on that day. “Despite our progress in reforming homeland security for a new age, I have determined that it is the right time for me to step aside. I hope that the next Secretary will have the support of Congress and the courts in fixing the laws which have impeded our ability to fully secure America’s borders and which have contributed to discord in our nation’s discourse. Our country – and the men and women of DHS – deserve to have all the tools and resources they need to execute the mission entrusted to them,” Nielsen wrote. “Thank you again for the privilege to serve the American people and to lead the outstanding men and women of the Department of Homeland Security. Supporting these patriots has been the honor of a lifetime.”

“Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen will be leaving her position, and I would like to thank her for her service. I am pleased to announce that Kevin McAleenan, the current U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner, will become Acting Secretary for @DHSgov. I have confidence that Kevin will do a great job!” Trump tweeted. The work of Nielsen was a critical one in the history of the United States and everyone hopes for the best for the future Secretary of Homeland Security, Kevin McAleenan.

Jonathan Y., Reporter

Jonathan Y. is an 8th grader at Kraemer Middle School. His favorite subject is math because of its simplicity with more complex versions. While his favorite...