Upcoming Internet Series: Meta Runner Season 1

The logo of an upcoming internet series called Meta Runner.

https://supermarioglitchy4.fandom.com/wiki/Meta_Runner

Luke Lerdwichagul, also known as SuperMarioGlitchy4 (SMG4 for short), is an animation director with a Youtube channel. He is most recognized for making Super Mario 64 parodies, using SM64 and Gmod (Garry’s Mod) sprites for animation. Now, he is a part of his own company called Glitch Productions. Occasionally, he will make parodies of other big games, like Undertale, and Super Mario games. Some of the characters, like Mario, have a different personality than the official character. The main SMG4 cast of characters consists of Mario, Luigi, Toad, Bowser, SMG4 (yes he puts himself in the videos), Fishy Boopkins, BoB, Meggy, Saiko, and Tari. Back in 2018, Tari was introduced as a new SMG4 character in a video called “Mario the Ultimate Gamer”. On December 5th of 2018, a trailer was revealed showcasing the first season for an internet series called Meta Runner that featured Tari as the main character. At the end of the trailer, it says that the series will debut in June of this year.

Luke and his older brother, Kevin Lerdwichagul (a producer and writer), made a video talking about what Meta Runner is and its development over the years. According to Luke and Kevin, Meta Runner was a secret project that has been in production for years. They said that most of the money they received from merchandise and subscribers over their history was used to contribute to the project. In the description for the trailer, they say that Meta Runner Tari and SMG4 Tari share the same personality and powers, but are completely different people.

The series takes place in the future, at a place called Silica City, where video games, speedrunning, and Esports are the centers of everything. People have tried to become expert at games, so they do something to themselves to improve their ability to game. They replace their arm (of their choosing) with a cybernetic arm. Humans who have done this are known as Meta Runners. Tari is a Meta Runner (which she doesn’t realize until some civilians notice and tell her), so she participates in an Esports competition against other Meta Runners. During practice, she discovers a hidden power that she didn’t know she had. That power is to warp into video games, a power that no one has performed before. One of Tari’s competitors, Belle Fontiere, soon finds out about the power and tells her boss, Lux. He finds out that technology like Tari’s robotic arm could make him extremely rich so he says that he wants her.

On March 14, Luke uploaded a short scene from Meta Runner on his channel. After the clip was over, Luke and Kevin gave a small speech to the viewers. They said that the series would debut on July 25th of this year. Even though this is a month after the originally planned release date, they said that they want to make it the best as they possibly can. It was also revealed that they would upload different parts from the series from time to time.

Meta Runner Season 1 releases for free on July 25th, 2019. Glitch Productions is working on it at the moment. Luke and Kevin are supporting a whole team of skilled animators and voice actors who are contributing to the project. The hype within the SMG4 community is high for Meta Runner.

Evan W., Reporter

Evan W is an 8th-grader at Kraemer Middle School. He is determined to get work done and believes that school is very important. He loves technology and...