Filed under Food & Travel

Foods of Brazil

The Brazilian dessert quindim.

The Brazilian dessert quindim.

Many people choose to eat one type of food and forget about all the other different foods in the world. Even though many people know about Brazil, their food is one type of food that people tend to pay less attention to. There are so many delicious dishes, both sweet and savory that are from all over Brazil.

The first Brazilian food is a street food called Bacalhau (salt cod) bites. The two main ingredients are salted cod (fish) and potatoes which are mixed together, then it’s deep fried until the outside is golden brown and the inside is soft and fluffy. The Brazilians’ passion for salted cod is from the Portuguese influence on the nation’s cuisine, with bacalhau being a very popular ingredient in Portuguese and Spanish dishes.

The second Brazilian food is another type of street food s called cassava chips. Cassava is a type of root that can be used as a type of starch or as a vegetable. It is also one of Brazil’s most used foods/plant for those reasons. To make cassava chips, the cassava root is cut into rectangles then deep fried to resemble a normal potato chip. The cassava chips are sold at almost every single food stall in Brazil because people like it so much.

The next Brazilian food is Moqueca which is a Brazilian fish stew and, also is one of the foods that Brazil is known for. The ingredients in Moqueca are lime juice, salt and pepper, garlic, fish, shrimp, oil, onions, bell pepper, green onions, tomato, cilantro, clam juice, chicken broth, coconut milk, and ground red pepper. The first step to making this delicious soup is marinating the fish and shrimp using the lime juice, salt and pepper, and the garlic. The second step is to heat up an oven, then, in a pan, mix together the vegetables. The next step is adding in the cilantro, clam juice, and chicken broth, then bring the whole thing to a boil, next to a simmer. The last step in making the soup is to add the rest of the ingredients and the meat, then cook until everything is cooked.

The fourth Brazilian food is Feijoada which is another hearty stew that Brazil is known for. The ingredients in Feijoada are dried black beans, bacon slices, pork shoulder, salt and pepper, beef short ribs, onion, chicken broth, garlic, ham hock, white vinegar, and orange wedges. The first step to making this hearty bean stew is to prepare the dried black beans by boiling them with water, then drain them. The second step to making the stew is to cook all of the meats, then put them in a slow cooker with the prepared beans, salt and pepper, and onions. The next step is to mix the ingredients evenly, cover the top of the slow cooker, and cook on low heat for 8 hours or until the beans and meat are tender.

The fifth and final dish that Brazil is known for is quindim, a custard/jello type of dessert. The ingredients are sugar, shredded coconut, butter, egg yolks, and an egg white. The first step to making this delicious dessert is to mix the sugar, coconut, butter, and eggs in a bowl. The second step is to pour the mixture into a cupcake pan (fill it up halfway), the bottom of the cupcake pan it in boiling water. The final step is to bake the quindim for about 30 minutes, after they are done, take out and chill until cool to touch. Brazil has so many more different and delicious foods, but these five are the ones that are the best.

Lauren N., Reporter

Lauren Nam is a 7th grade gate student at Kraemer Middle school who enjoys all of her classes, including newspaper and spanish. She decided to join newspaper...