Filed under Sports

Alex Morgan Spotlight

via USA Today

Born on July 2, 1989, Alex Morgan is a 29-year-old American soccer player with many achievements. Growing up in Diamond Bar, she attended Diamond Bar High School and the University of California, Berkeley. She is married to Servando Carrasco, a midfielder for the La Galaxy. They both met playing soccer at Berkeley and got married on December 31, 2014.

Alex Morgan currently plays on the United States women’s national soccer team and Orlando Pride. She is number 13 and a forward on both teams. She has many achievements with the USA team including, winning the 2015 World Cup, winning the NWSL Championship, scoring the winning goals in many FIFA World Cups, and is tied for third of all time most goals scored from her school. But, Alex Morgan’s best achievement of all is competed in the 2012 Olympic Games and winning a gold medal.  

With many past awards, she has also experienced one recently, being named the top female player by U.S. Soccer of 2018. This is Alex’s second time being named U.S. Soccer Female of the Year, which she won in 1998, and in the Soccer Hall of Fame. Morgan has 18 national team goals this season, which helped them have an 18-0-2 record, and qualifying for the Women’s World Cup. She scored at least one goal 11 out of the 19 games, including a hat trick against Japan. In the CONCACAF Women’s Championship, Alex scored seven goals in only five games and two in the semifinals against Jamaica. This secured the U.S.A.’s spot in the finals against China.

On the Orlando Pride, Alex Morgan also scored five goals this season, which makes her only the ninth person to win the U.S. Soccer Female of the Year twice. Players, coaches, the media, and administrators all voted, making her beat out her teammate, and last year’s winner, Julie Ertz. Waiting among many famous players, she has been counting down the days to win again after she helped the U.S. win the London Olympics.

Alex Morgan started to slow down though after she had an injury in 2012. She had 28 goals and 21 assists in the season before, but for the next three years only scored 18 goals combined. Those were slow years for the U.S. team which eliminated them for the Olympics without a medal. But, it didn’t prevent Alex enough because she won her first World Cup title in 2015. Alex is irreplaceable though and continues to train for the 2020 Summer Olympics and World Cup. She has shown her growth, scoring 25 goals in the last 26 games. Her U.S Coach, Jill Ellis said, “I always use this word when I talk about Alex, but there is just a hunger and a work ethic. She makes things happen. Obviously, she is such a dynamic player to run in behind and cause teams problems that way. I also think [with her] back to pressure, she’s gotten even better at that.” She explains that Alex has shown major growth since her injury and continues to push herself even harder every day. Alex Morgan is a strong soccer player that has overcome her challenges and is determined to make things happen.

Reese M., Reporter

Reese M. is a 7th-grade student at Kraemer Middle School. She has played two sports since she was five years old, which are soccer and basketball. In her...