Filed under Sports

Mikaela Shiffrin, Skiing Sensation

Mikaela Shiffrin, Skiing Sensation

via WVXU

via WVXU

via WVXU

Just a year following the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics, Mikaela Shiffrin is ready to chase after another medal.  Ever since her debut in 2011 when she was 15, Mikaela continues to break records.

Mikaela Shiffrin was born on March 3rd, 1995 in Vail, Colorado. It’s safe to say she was bound to be a professional skier. All members of Mikaela’s family had been a ski racer at a point in their life. Shiffrin learned to ski on a plastic pair of skis on her driveway at age 2.

Mikaela’s childhood didn’t happen in one place. Mikaela soon moved to New Hampshire in 2003 because of her father, Jeff Shiffrin, got a job offer. Here, Mikaela honed her skills by taking sessions with a coach named Rick Colt at Storrs Hill Ski Area. The family soon went back to Colorado from another job offer from Jeff. Mikaela moved to Vermont with her mother, Eileen Shiffrin, to attend Burke Mountain Academy and trained with another coach named Kirk Dwyer. The snow was so bad here that it was pretty much ice. However, what was miserable for most skiers proved to be a strength to Shiffrin as the World Cup runs share similar icy conditions to the ones in Vermont.

As soon as Mikaela passed the minimum required age to compete, she did just that.  By 15 years old, Mikaela achieved podium places for competitions and quickly rose up ranks. Mikaela started catching people’s attention with a slalom victory in 2010 at Trofeo Topolino— making Shiffrin the first American women to win at Italy’s prestigious junior event since 1999 where Lindsey Vonn was the victor. Shiffrin got her first NorAm victory in the December of 2010 in a combined event. A few weeks later, Shiffrin was able to fight off illness to snag a bronze medal at the Junior World Champions.

Currently, Mikaela has two Olympic Gold medals to her name with many other titles. She has broken many records, some including being the youngest slalom champion in Olympic alpine skiing history at 18 years and 345 days and being the first athlete to win in all six World Cup disciplines.

In the 2019 season, Mikaela has clutched yet another victory gathering attention. Even though she was facing a coughing spell severe enough to cause stomach spasm,  Mikaela got scored a slalom gold in Are at the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships. Shiffrin is now one of the only two skiers to have four world titles in a lone event. The other holder is Christl Cranz who has four and five in the slalom.

Currently, the Alpine Skiing World Cup 2018-19 has not yet finished, and fans can only wait to see the possible records Mikaela Shiffrin may break. There will hopefully be more news of the headlines she’ll make in the coming years.

Darrius H., Reporter

Darrius H. is currently a seventh grader at Kraemer Middle School. He is currently taking Newspaper and Orchestra as electives and his favorite classes...