Filed under Opinion

The Border Wall Solution Trump Hasn’t Thought of

Boarder Wall

Boarder Wall

After the longest government shutdown issued by our 45th President, Donald Trump continues to persuade Congress to fund the building of a wall at the US’s southern border. If a national emergency exists, then the President should take his case directly to the people of the US and look for other ways to fund his wall beside using pre-existing taxpayer dollars.

The solution that the President hasn’t thought of yet is to propose “wall bonds”. Wall bonds are government-issued debt securities. The best measure of support for a government program is whether or not the public will support it. Selling government bonds to fund a government program is not new. In the first half of the 20th century, Presidents could rally the public to pay for its programs. Another example would be the bonds issued during WWI and WWII. During this time, President Woodrow Wilson and President Franklin Roosevelt both began to raise the money needed to mobilize the troops. They accomplished this by issuing bonds and imposing higher taxes on the general public. President Wilson’s Secretary of Treasury, William McAdoo, sold “Liberty Loans”. Under President Roosevelt, Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau began a campaign to sell war bonds and to persuade voters that higher taxes were necessary. “Taxes to Beat the Axis,” Treasury said.

Millions of Americans were persuaded by the Presidents, and the majority of them bought war bonds during both campaigns. On the other hand, Trump has never asked for his supporters to contribute or donate money to fund and build the wall. He promised that the Mexican government will pay for the wall, although they responded by saying that they did not want to contribute anything to the new border. In December of 2018, Trump promised that the wall will be funded through indirect savings; these savings are the result of the upcoming new trade agreement with Mexico and Canada, although no data or evidence supports this claim.

In conclusion, Trump’s wall could be funded in other ways than through Congress and indirect savings. Many Democrats do not support his idea of a border across the southern United States, and as a result, they refuse to fund the President’s wall. Despite this, Trump claimed that he will fund the wall through indirect savings that will result from the upcoming trade agreement between Mexico and Canada, but no evidence supports his allegation. One solution to funding the wall is to ask his supporters for money or to propose “wall bonds”, similarly to President Franklin Roosevelt and President Woodrow Wilson.

Alan H., Reporter

Alan He is a member of the KMS Cub Reporter.  He is in 8th grade, and this is his first year as part of the Cub reporter team. He took Newspaper as an...