Plane Crashes in Yorba Linda

A similar plane to the one that crashed into a Yorba Linda house

A small plane crashed into a home in Southern California on Sunday, February 3, 2019. This unfortunate accident killed 5 people, injured two others, and sprayed debris across the neighborhood. This site became a temporary site of danger and chaos, and many residents have uploaded pictures of the crash site onto social media.

The crash, which occurred around 2 P.M., killed four residents inside the Yorba Linda home; two men and two women, as well as the male pilot of the small plane, Lt. Cory Martino of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, said at a news conference on Sunday. Officials say that only the pilot was inside the plane, and the relationship between the four people was not known.

An investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board, Eliott Simpson, said the plane left Fullerton Airport at 1:35 p.m. It traveled about 10 miles and had climbed to about 7,800 feet, he said, before making a “rapid descent” into Yorba Linda, a sleepy suburban city 10 miles northeast of Disneyland.

The authorities did not immediately release the names of the people killed and injured, along with the exact cause of their death. Two other people were hospitalized due to injuries, which were described as “moderate injuries”.A man who says he lives near the crash site posted a video on Twitter. The video showed several-foot-high flames burning through the roof of the attacked house, and neighbors urge each other to stay away from the burning house.

The man, later identified as Joshua Nelson, later posted a photo of the wreckage from the crash plane; debris was strewn across the neighbor’s driveway and front lawn. “The plane blew up in the sky,” Jared Bocachica, who witnessed the crash, told the local news station KTLA. Someone reported that there was debris, resulting from the plane identified as a 1981 Cessna, was scattered as far as four blocks from the accident site. Officials later said that more than a dozen homes had been littered with debris from the Cessna, adding that the fuselage (main body of the aircraft) ended up in someone’s yard.

Nancy Mehl, a nearby resident, said that she was in her kitchen when she heard what sounded like the whining of a plane preparing for takeoff. “And then it felt like a bomb went off through the front of the house,” Ms. Mehl told the newspaper, adding that pieces of the plane came rocketing through her home. “One of the first things I did when I saw the damage was get on my knees and thank God,” Ms. Mehl told The Times. “Talk about being spared.”

Alan H., Reporter

Alan He is a member of the KMS Cub Reporter.  He is in 8th grade, and this is his first year as part of the Cub reporter team. He took Newspaper as an...