Filed under Opinion

Banning Plastic Straws- Will It Make a Difference?

Straws

Wikimedia

Straws

Throughout many cities in the United States, plastic straws are being banned. Starting in the year 2018, restaurants have stopped putting out straws or serving drinks with straws unless customers ask to have one. Starbucks has even agreed to stop giving out their green straws with their drinks by the year 2020. They have already begun the movement by serving paper straws. The real question is will it make a difference?

Many people believe that even though the banning of plastic straws won’t make a difference, it is at least a good start. Everyone knows that banning plastic straws won’t fully change the environment but saving pieces of plastic every day would help be the first step to the big change. If fewer people use plastic straws daily, it can help save many animals and the surrounding environment. Plastic straws in the ocean lead to many hurt animals due to cuts and pieces of plastic stuck in their skin. Even though plastic straws are convenient in our daily lives, banning them can help the Earth and animal life.

Many plastic straws are made of a material that is not considered recyclable. This problem is the reason why plastic straws should be banned. Because they can’t be recycled, they are thrown away into the trash. Many pieces that are thrown away into the trash end up in the ocean or in landfills. Plastic straws are known to be one of the top five most common items found in the ocean which is a threat to wildlife. Even though plastic straws are harmful, paper straws and steel straws can be used in replace. Paper straws can be recycled, and steel straws can be reused. Using these different types of straws will help eliminate plastic straws making the environment healthier.

Plastic straws are also not a safe way to drink beverages. Studies have shown that many commercially available plastics have synthetic estrogens. These chemicals are toxic chemicals that can go into food and drinks from the straws which can bring health issues to many people. After the straws are used, they are thrown away and are piled up daily. The Ellen MacArthur Foundation states that if we keep using plastic straws, there might be more plastic than fish in the ocean by 2050.

The constant use of plastic straws brings danger to many wildlife animals, to our environment and even to peoples’ health. There are many ways to avoid the use of plastic straws which can help save many lives and help cleanse the environment. Plastic straws should be banned from restaurants and should be replaced by paper straws which are recyclable. For these reasons, plastic straws shouldn’t be handed out to people to save animals, health issues, and the Earth’s cleanliness.

Charis P., Co-Editor-Food and Travel

Charis P. is an 8th grader who currently attends Kraemer Middle School. She decided to join Newspaper because she chose it as an elective last year and...