Filed under Opinion

The Vape Problem

The Vape Problem

A man vaping

A man vaping

A man vaping

A man vaping

There are many ads about vaping all across the internet. Some may be in a YouTube video or on a random website. Unfortunately, it has been a problem with teens for the past century and still is to this date. Teens that vape early on have a higher chance of smoking a cigarette later in life, which is known to be significantly more harmful than the electronic cigarettes used to vape.

Vaping increased 900 percent from 2014 to 2015 among high school students and is continuing to grow to this date. E-cigarettes have been marketed to cease the smoking addiction, as they contain controlled nicotine, unlike traditional cigars. However, this mainly increased their smoking habits instead of taking it away. Some teens even started to vape and smoke regularly.

Michael Blaha, the clinical research director of Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease, states, “People need to understand that e-cigarettes are potentially dangerous to your health. You’re exposing yourself to all kinds of chemicals that we don’t yet understand and that are probably not safe.” E-cigarettes were discovered to increase heart rate and adrenaline, which can definitely increase the risk of heart attacks.

Nicotine contained in vape pens and cigars is known to have a calming effect on stressed adults and children. As mentioned previously, vape pens and e-cigarettes were sold to reduce smoking habits using limited nicotine. Unfortunately, e-cigarettes are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration. A safer Nicotine Replacement Therapy is approved by the FDA, instead. NRT uses a limited amount of nicotine, similar to vaping, but the removal of the dangerous chemicals in traditional cigarettes and e-cigarettes makes NRT a better, effective choice.

The Food and Drug Administration’s statistics show that approximately 3.62 million U.S. youths, middle schoolers, and high schoolers, use e-cigarettes as of 2018. However, this only includes the major portions of vaping, and some adults are also known to vape, increasing the amount of vaping in America. The FDA found that another great reason for vaping among young adults is due to the fact that there are varieties of “flavors” among e-cigarettes, according to a 2013-2014 survey. In 2018, approximately one out of five high school students and one out of twenty middle school students are found to vape. This is a significant 78% increase for high school students and a 48% increase for middle school students from last year.

The FDA also makes it clear that vaping is a problem. In 2018, they issued a policy where all legal tobacco products and advertisements must include a warning label noting how the product may give nicotine addiction: “WARNING: This product contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical.” FDA also warns how vape shops may include other chemicals and modify its nicotine contents. Shops can insert other hazardous chemicals into these electronic cigarettes, which makes vaping a riskier way to smoke.

As said previously, vaping can lead to smoking, which can cause lung cancer. Symptoms of lung cancer include a cough that does not go away. Other signs of lung cancer include coughing up blood. This is the sign telling you to should stop vaping and smoking immediately.

The growth of e-cigarettes has been a danger to everyone. However, vaping really did save some lives from smoking too much. Twitter users use #vapingsavedmylife to show how vaping helped many of their fellows. However, vaping is very dangerous and NRT, approved by the Food and Drug Administration, should be used instead.

Jonathan Y., Reporter

Jonathan Y. is an 8th grader at Kraemer Middle School. His favorite subject is math because of its simplicity with more complex versions. While his favorite...