Filed under Features

Rarest kinds of plants

Picture of the rare Jellyfish Tree

Picture of the rare Jellyfish Tree

Over 30% of the world is covered by forests and of that 30%, there are many endangered plants. There are many different reasons why a plant would be endangered like lack of pollinators and only being on a very small portion of the world. Mostly, the rarest plants are very unique like the orchid that grows underground or the carnivorous plants that eat animals.

One of the rarest plants in the world is the Jellyfish tree or scientifically known as the Medusagyne Oppositifolia. This tree was named the Jellyfish tree as its fruits look like small jellyfish. Also, it was named Medusagyne after “Medusa” as the tree’s flowers have many stamens. Currently, there are only 86 mature Jellyfish trees in the wild, which makes the tree critically endangered. For a while, the tree was thought to be extinct but in the 1970s a few trees were found. These trees can grow to ten meters or 32.8 feet and has dense, round foliage. The bark of the tree is dark and it has many fissures. Its leaves are shiny and leathery and once it grows older, they turn bright red. Because of the leaves, it can be difficult to spot its small, white flowers. The tree’s fruits start out green but as it gets older, it becomes reddish-brown and it then dries up which exposes its seeds to be spread out by the wind.

The Poke-Me-Boy tree, also known as the Vachellia Anegadensis, was named after their spiny features. This tree is native to the British Virgin Islands of Fallen, Jerusalem, and Anegada. The island that it is on is only eight meters above sea level and it is probably the plant that is suffering the most from rising sea levels. This tree is being swept away as it is a low growing shrub by the waves. In the past, this tree was usually used as timber but now it is critically endangered.

One of the most unique types of plants are the carnivorous plants which eat living creatures. The rarest of these plants is Attenborough’s Pitcher Plant also called the Nepenthes Attenboroughii. This plant is the largest carnivorous plant and grows to 4.9 feet tall and its pitcher has a diameter of 11.8 inches. Its pitcher is so large that it can capture and digest small rodents. This plant was discovered in 2007 in the Philippines by Sir David Attenborough and it was declared critically endangered after the restriction of its distribution.

There are many different kinds of plants and they all most of them have properties that are unique to them. Plants are one of the most important things on Earth and humans should work to save plants if they are endangered.

Bryan W., Reporter

Bryan W. is the kind of person that loves playing video games and reading. He lives with his mother, father, sister, and grandma. When he goes to school,...