Filed under Opinion

Is Trump Abusing His Power for a Wall?

President Donald Trump speaking with supporters at a campaign rally at the Phoenix Convention Center in Phoenix, Arizona.

Gage Skidmore

President Donald Trump has been president for about two years now. Some say that he’s being a great president, while others believe that he’s a terrible president. Now the new question is if Donald Trump is abusing the power and capabilities of being president. So far Donald Trump has done not really anything, but try to find enough money to build the wall. The budget to build the wall would be 5.6 billion dollars not to mention that a 150 million dollar maintenance per year. That is a lot of money being wasted that can be used in other ways to help America become a better and safer country.

Donald Trump has shut down the government at midnight only because the House of Representatives didn’t agree on the 5 million dollar agreement for the border wall to be built. Then, Donald Trump declared that he would be again happy to shut down the government. Democrats said that they don’t want to spend more than 1.6 billion dollars on border security already. Then a total of 3 government shutdowns has happened under Donald Trump’s presidency. Most of the government shutdowns happened with the House of Representatives or the government itself declining the request of Donald Trump’s requests. Because the government is shut down, air travel, medical care, and custom border patrol are not affected. So Donald Trump is abusing his power by doing whatever he can to get what he wants.

The wall border right at the moment is being maintained and secured by the U.S army right at the moment. Many people say that it’s a waste of time just blocking the border wall and they could be used right now. Donald Trump has been accused many government officials about if the voting was a scam or if Donald Trump has been discussing with Russians. Many people have been put into jail or were accused of being in contact with Russians.

Overall, the government and citizens have to make a decision on Donald Trump if he should continue to be president and see if he has any schemes. Now, the new question should be if Donald Trump only became president because of fame. So far he has done nothing on making “America Great Again” and has made America worse. There are issues out there that could be fixed, not just by Trump going to shut down the government to get what he wants. As he does more things, the FBI has to look into the situation.

Andrew N., Reporter

Andrew N. is a seventh grader at Kraemer Middle School. Andrew finished his final year as an elementary school student at Golden Elementary. His two electives...