Winners of the Golden Globe Awards

The logo of the Golden Globes

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeshlabotnik/365494406

The logo of the Golden Globes

On Sunday, January 6th, 2018, the 76th annual Golden Globes award ceremony took place at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California. The Golden Globes takes some of the film industry’s best movies, tv shows, actors, actresses, and film crews, then awards them for doing a spectacular job by receiving a 24-carat-gold statue. This year the Golden Globes was hosted by actress Sandra Oh and actor Andy Samberg. Many people are privileged and thankful to even be nominated for a Golden Globe and some people are lucky enough to win.

During the Golden Globes, many movies got nominated in different categories. In the category of Best Motion Picture Drama, Bohemian Rhapsody, the story of the band Queen, won. In Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture Drama, well-known actress Glenn Close won for her role in The Wife. For Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture Drama, Rami Melak won for his role as singer Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody.

For Best Motion Picture in a musical or comedy, Green Book, which is the story of one African-American pianist and a bouncer from an Italian-American neighborhood in the Bronx who create an unexpected bong facing racism and danger during segregation, won. In the category of Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture Musical or Comedy, Olivia Colman won for her role as Queen Anne in, The Favourite. Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture  Musical or Comedy was won by another well-known actor, Christian Bale for his role as Dick Cheney in Vice.

Actress Regina King won Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture for her role as Sharon Rivers in If Beale Street Could Talk. Mahershala Ali won Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture for his role as  Don Shirley in Green Book. The Best Original Score in a Motion Picture was Justin Hurwitz’s First Man. Best Original Song in a Motion Picture was Shallow sung by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper from A Star is Born.  Peter Farrelly, Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie won Best Screenplay in a Motion Picture, for their movie Green Book. The movie Roma won Best Motion Picture Foreign Language. Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse, won Best Animated film.

Additional to movies, many tv shows who were nominated got categorized into the category which they best fit. For Best TV Series Drama, The Americans won. It is about two spies who are in an arranged marriage shortly after Ronald Regan is elected president, their relationship and life get more complicated as the years go by. Best Performance by Actress in a TV series Drama was won by Asian-Canadian actress Sandra Oh for her role as Eve Polastri in Killing Eve. Richard Madden won Best Performance by an Actor in a TV Series Drama for his role as sergeant David Budd in Bodyguard.

The winner of Best TV Series Musical or Comedy was The Kominsky Method. This Netflix show is about aging acting coach Sandy Kominsky, who realizes he is getting older but doesn’t want to stop doing his passion. Best Performance by an Actor in a TV series Musical or Comedy was well-known actor Michael Douglas, for his role as Sandy Kominksy in The Kominsky Method. Rachel Brosnahan won Best Performance by an Actress in a TV series Musical or Comedy for her role as Mrs. Maisel in the Amazon series The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, won Best Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television, showing before and after the death of famous designer Gianni Versace including his killer’s view. Darren Criss who is known for his bubbly character Blaine on Fox’s Glee switched gears and won Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for his role as Andrew Cunanan, the killer of Gianni Versace. Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television, was won by Patricia Arquette for her role as Joyce “Tilly” Mitchell in Escape at Dannemora.   

Ben Whishaw won Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for his role as Norman Scott in A Very English Scandal. Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television was won by Patricia Sharp for her role as Adora Crellin in Sharp Objects.

Overall, to even be nominated for a Golden Globe is an honor and to win one, really shows hard work pays off. Often those who win Golden Globes move on to win Oscars which is the goal of all actors and actresses. Although not winning is a bummer, sometimes it makes actors and actresses want to work harder till they win a Golden Globe.

Jacqueline C., Editor

Jacqueline C. is a 7th grader currently attending Kraemer Middle School. She loves to watch and play sports. Some of her favorite sports include lacrosse,...