Alzheimer’s disease

Alzheimer’s disease

via Pixabay

Alzheimer’s disease

Alzheimer’s is a type of disease or dementia defined as “A chronic or persistent disorder of the mental processes caused by brain disease or injury and marked by memory disorders, personality, and impaired reasoning.” The most common cause of dementia is Alzheimer’s. Having Alzheimer’s affects a person’s thinking and behavior, which makes it hard to do tasks and live their life every day.

The usual age of Alzheimer’s patients is sixty-five years or older, but Alzheimer’s isn’t a normal part of aging. Normally, Alzheimer’s gets worse and worse over time since it is a progressive disease. Doctors and scientists have been trying to discover a cure for Alzheimer’s, but have so far been unsuccessful. There are many treatments and medications to help Alzheimer’s.

Many well-known celebrities have been victims of Alzheimer’s. One example is Ronald Wilson Reagan, the 40th president of the United States suffered from Alzheimer’s and died on June 5, 2004. Another example is Rosa Parks, who died of Alzheimer’s at 92 on October 24, 2005. The last celebrity is Sugar Ray Robinson, a professional boxer who passed away from Alzheimer’s on April 12, 1989.

There are many symptoms and clues that let a person know if they have Alzheimer’s, such as memory loss. Having memory loss can be very challenging and difficult for a person to live their everyday life. Another symptom is confusion with time and place. A person with Alzheimer’s disease might forget what time it is or where they are. Having problems with words in speaking or writing is also another symptom of Alzheimer’s. Someone with Alzheimer’s might call a “watch” another name like “hand-clock”.

Just like some diseases, Alzheimer’s has 7 different stages. The first stage the person goes through has no effect on the patient. At this stage, Alzheimer’s is undetectable, but still there. The second stage is very mild cognitive decline. In this stage, they might forget where they put things and forget what to do, but Alzheimer’s isn’t very noticed yet.  The third stage is mild cognitive decline. This stage makes someone with Alzheimer’s disease forget words and finding it difficult to find the right words for a conversation. The fourth stage is moderate subjective decline. Stage four is described as early-stage dementia. Someone with Alzheimer’s disease will struggle more with memory loss like forgetting recent events, difficulty concentrating, problem-solving, forgetting to pay bills, and more. The fifth stage is a moderately severe mental decline. This stage is one of the hardest stages to go through because this makes them struggle with everyday tasks. They need someone to help them bathe, make a meal, clean, go places, and so much more. They might also forget their home address, phone number, and any personal information. Stages 6 and 7 are almost the same because both stages are extreme intellectual decline.

Having Alzheimer’s is a very hard and challenging disease to conquer because there is no cure. Alzheimer’s spreads and spreads, getting worse and worse throughout the person’s life. Suffering from memory loss, needing help on certain tasks, and many more reasons. Though Alzheimer’s is a very dangerous and unhealthy disease, people shouldn’t give up hope for finding a cure.

London G., Reporter

London G. is a 7th grader at Kraemer Middle School, who loves science and language arts, but wants to change the world by writing inspirational stories,...