The Government Shutdown

Government Shutdown

via Barack Obama Presidential Library

Government Shutdown

During the 2016 Presidential Election, Donald Trump promised to build a wall along the Mexican border to prevent the entrance of illegal immigrants. This wall costs 5.6 billion dollars! Donald Trump promised the US a wall that would provide more protection at the US-Mexico border. He originally proposed Mexico would pay for it, though as easily predicted they have refused to pay for it. This caused Donald Trump to request money from Congress because the House majority is Democratic and refuses to provide funding. This caused Donald Trump to retaliate and shut down the government. This has caused many dilemmas within all government-funded organizations and departments.

A claim was made by the White House that 4000 terrorists were caught entering the US from Mexico, but it turns out most of it happens at airports and only a few at the border. Though it is also proven that more terrorists are caught entering the US from the Canadian than the Mexican border. Trump has stated himself that he would be proud to shut down the government for border security. He has also warned that he is prepared to continue the shutdown for many years, though he contradicted himself by telling Democrats that he would look foolish backing down from shutting down the government too.

The partial Government shutdown started on December 25, 2018. Since then over 800,000 workers have been laid off. These workers have been laid off and might work for the departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Justice, Homeland Security, Housing and Urban Development, Interior, State, Transportation, and Treasury. Many federal workers have also been working without pay, they are furious and are filing a lawsuit against the US Government.  

Many of the Governments programs and systems have stopped working. The IRS (Internal Revenue System) has sent home over 90% of their faculty, all of their offices are closed, the live telephone line is not available. The IRS plans to reform their contingency plan to bring back their workers, without pay. Many zoos, museums, and National Parks have been shut down. Some National Parks have remained open, though there have been many consequences. In Yosemite National Park, the toilets overflowed because of the lack of government funding. Many volunteers had to come and help clean up the mess.

As the government shutdown proceeds countless amounts of workers will be laid off, government departments will be shutdowns, and national zoos and parks will be closed.

Anya D., Editor

Anya lives with her two parents, grandparents, and younger brother. She is an excited 7th grader who attends Kraemer Middle School and the editor of the...