Brexit: All You Need to Know

Brexit

via Pubic Domain Pictures

Brexit

Brexit is the shorthand way of saying Britain is leaving the EU. In June of 2016, the UK voted to leave the EU to take control over its borders. The vote to leave the EU won by 51.9% to 48.1%. This way, they could decide who could come in and what exports could be shipped out. The United Kingdom is set to leave the EU on the 26 of March 2019. Here’s what people need to know about Brexit.

Brexit was entitled due to the UK wanting to control its economy. To do this, the UK had to invoke Article 50, which is a plan for any country planning to leave the EU. It was part of the Treaty of Lisbon, a law agreed on by EU members in 2009. The treaty is very short, with a length of 5, concise paragraphs. Overall, it states any member of the EU that wishes to leave must notify the European Council and come to an agreement. Though, if all 28 members vote for the transition period to get extended, the UK would stay in the EU for a slightly longer time.

There has also been a discussion about the Ireland and UK border. Located in Ireland, this small, 5,205 square mile area has a long backstory. In the 1920s, the boundary between Northern Ireland and the rest of Ireland had been drawn after many wars. This was due to some British people wanting to stay in Ireland, so the UK received their own piece of land north of Ireland. The north was called the unionists, while the rest of Ireland was called the nationalists. In the 1960s, things turned violent, with the IRA, also known as the Irish Republican Army, and the UK fighting each other, setting off car bombs and exploding buildings. It lasted for 30 years, and soon became known as the troubles. It came to an end in 1998, with the Good Friday Agreement.

This stated Northern Ireland would remain in the UK, but residents of Northern Ireland could apply for UK or Irish citizenship. Borders would also open up, with no customs checks or border control. This could all change due to the UK voting to leave the EU. If Britain were to leave the EU, they could reunite Northern Ireland with the rest of Ireland, though this is a strange option. This part of the UK’s plans is still undecided, as most choices would not line up with the Good Friday Agreement guidelines.

Overall, Brexit is going to leave the EU on March of 2019, unless Brexit would be beneficial to the UK economy, controlling items that could enter Britain and items that could be exported. There are also arguments about Brexit, with many wondering how the UK’s court will resolve the Northern Ireland border, with many options available.

Thomas W., Reporter

Thomas W. is a 7th grader who is attending Kraemer Middle School. Thomas was born on September 27, 2006. His favorite subject is Science because he enjoys...