The World’s Most Useless Inventions

Even more useless than a shoe box

via JK Brickworks

Even more useless than a shoe box

Throughout history mankind has crafted contraptions capable of amazing things. However, there has also been a number of inventions that just aren’t as revolutionary, and some are just plain strange. Not every idea is a good one, and the following inventions are some of the strangest or most useless inventions ever released to the public.

Glue Sticks are used in schools all over the world, but students in Toronto took it one step further and created the Butterstick. The concept behind the Butterstick was that one could apply butter to their toast or bread quickly without using a knife. This invention is actually still available in stores, despite a controversy over who the first inventor of the Butterstick was. Speaking of food related inventions, the next invention is called the Exhaust Grill. The idea was an environmentally friendly way to use car exhaust fumes to cook food (ignoring the fact that the fumes are toxic and would poison the food). How this idea lead to a grill that would cook food while driving is a mystery to most people. The prototype was even entered in a design competition known as Dining in 2015, but came nowhere close to winning.

Society is always trying to find a way to make their daily process quicker and easier. However, it wasn’t necessary to create the Control Alt Delete Wand, a neat gizmo that saves 3 seconds and a not very likely hand cramp by pressing all 3 buttons at once. That not handy enough? Then try the Baby Mop, another invention to make life easier. Simply attach to the bottom of a child, and as they crawl around, they will mop up the floor without parents having to actually put any effort in. Several companies have attempted at recreating the baby mop, and several models are still available today.

Fashion has also changed drastically over the years. However, the “two-person sweatshirt” probably won’t go down in history. This sweatshirt was designed for couples who wanted to go somewhere together but save money on purchasing two different sweaters. Another clothing related innovation of questionable use are shoe umbrellas. These miniature umbrellas attach to the front of shoes, protecting them from the downpour.

While some of these inventions might have seemed like a good idea at some point, there’s also plenty of creations that are just plain strange. For instance, Incognito Barefoot Shoes. Created for people who disagree with the “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service” rule many restaurants go by, these fake shoes actually have no bottom, making it appear as if one is wearing real shoes, even though they are not. Another strange invention is Diet Water, created by a Japanese company under the same name. However, there are many other companies who have attempted to create diet water, including skinny water in the U.S.A. Of course, there is no change to the water at all. This product is merely a scam to make money. While diet water may be a scam, the Swiss Army Shovel most certainly isn’t. This massive contraption is almost as large as a person, and can be used as almost any gardening tool, similar to how a Swiss Army Knife can be used for many different purposes.

These are only some of the strange and useless inventions created throughout human history. While there may not be a need for them and they may fill up unnecessary shelf space, we can at least appreciate the inventive spirit of mankind.

Colin M., Co-Editor in Chief

Colin M. is an 8th-grader at Kraemer Middle School. He has an older brother and sister as well as a dog named Chloe who he loves very much. His brother...