Revolutionary Games and Their Impact on Modern Gaming

Game+Controllers

Game Controllers

Game Controllers

via PxHere

Game Controllers

via PxHere

via PxHere

Game Controllers

Over the years, technology has been improving. Not just technology that help with everyday lives, but also in entertainment. Modern-day entertainment like music, animation, and gaming have been improving through time. As time passed, new games have been released, and some were revolutionary, which changed the gaming industry forever.

Back then, there were no games. Around 1975, a home version for a game called Pong was released. Most consumer analysts said that video games wouldn’t make a good profit. It was at the time where thousands of systems where sold and it is revolutionary because it was one of the first video games intended for home use.

In 1996, a company called Nintendo released a revolutionary game. Nintendo was a very successful video game company, and were a large reason why the video games are so popular today. During this year, Nintendo released Super Mario 64. This was the first game in history to have 3D game design and 360-analog controls. It is said that this game is the origin of 3D graphics in video games.

Every game is a part of a different genre. In the gaming universe, first-person shooter (FPS), is one of the most popular genres. There was a revolutionary game that shaped the FPS genre to what it is today. That game is Wolfenstein 3D. This game used FPS in an innovative way that inspired others to do the same. People have said that Wolfenstein 3D was a prototype for run-and-gun games. Without this game, FPS wouldn’t be as popular as it is today.

Revolutionary games sometimes introduce a new way to play a game. Games have often claimed to be sandbox games. A sandbox game is a game where a player could do anything, anywhere, at any time. Games weren’t truly a sandbox game until 2009. For example, Grand Theft Auto (GTA) was claimed to be a sandbox game, but it never truly was. This is all because of the storyline forcing players to do something before doing free-play. Around May of 2009, one game was released that let players do anything without being forced to complete the story. This game is both revolutionary and is agreed to be one of the best games of all time. This game is called Minecraft. The game’s true splendor is the vast open-world environment and the fact that players can build anything their hearts desire. There is a story to this game and players can choose if they want to complete the story or not without being forced to. Even if a player completes the story, the game allows them to keep on playing without a reset. Minecraft showed that sandbox games are meant to let players be creative.

Games were never given ratings until a certain game released. Back then, games could have very violent parts in it without getting criticized. Movies and music weren’t rated until a violent release. This worked the same with video games. When the game Mortal Kombat released, critics took note of the “fatality” feature this game had. This feature was so violent that critics said that there should be a rating system for video games. Soon, Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) was created and now games are given a rating of EC, E, E10, T, M, or A. Each rating determines how old someone has to be to play the game. EC means that the game is focused to people in their early childhood. E is a rating given to games that can be played by anyone no matter what age. E10 is a rating meaning that everyone that is 10 or older can play. T stands for teen, which means that only people who are teenagers or older can play. M is a rating meaning mature, which means only people who are 17 or older can play it. A is the highest rating a game can be given. If a game is given this rating, then only adults are allowed to play the game due to the extreme amount of violence in it. If Mortal Kombat wasn’t released, then kids are more likely to find out about things they shouldn’t even know.

These revolutionary games set the standards for modern gaming. Without these games, the video game industry may have taken longer to make better gaming, given proper ratings on games, or it may not even exist at all.

Evan W., Reporter

Evan W is an 8th-grader at Kraemer Middle School. He is determined to get work done and believes that school is very important. He loves technology and...