Youtube Rewind: Everyone Controls Rewind

An animation of a girl watching YouTube on a computer

https://pixabay.com/en/youtube-tv-internet-computer-video-1614709/

It’s finally that time of year again!  No, not Christmas. It’s Youtube Rewind time when many Youtubers get disappointed by the site’s disconnection from its content creators and what actually defined 2018.  The video, Youtube Rewind 2018: Everyone Controls Rewind, as of December 14th, has 12 million dislikes, making it the site’s most disliked video.  What is the reason that millions hated this video?

One of the reasons why many have disliked the 8-minute long video is because they feel many important events, deaths of famous people and trends were not included.  Many people are especially upset that PewDiePie, the site’s top subscribed channel, wasn’t featured in the rewind. The subscriber battle surrounding PewDiePie and T-Series is too big an event to ignore. Most people argue that the relevant content was replaced by content creators, not on Youtube, such as Ninja (who isn’t a Youtuber), Trevor Noah, and John Oliver (talk show hosts).  The video overemphasized Fortnite, K-pop, Mukbang (eating food in front of a camera), and political topics of 2018, with Fortnite references alone taking up a quarter of the video. K-pop and Mukbang took up around 2 minutes. Many actual BTS fans were upset that Youtube did not credit them in the rewind, saying “K-pop” instead of acknowledging BTS as the creator of Idol, the song Youtube used in their rewind.  Youtube also froze views on one of their videos, so many BTS fans think Youtube has something against them.  Political topics took up a minute and made the video feel too serious and boring.

Despite all of this, there were some good parts of the video.  Animation channels like TheOdd1sOut, JaidenAnimations, illymation, Domics, EroldStory, Domics, Life Noggin, Tabbes, and sWooZie got 20 seconds of dancing to In My Feelings by Drake.  The most well-known part from this scene was probably JaidenAnimations drawing in PewDiePie’s famous chair, which received a lot of attention from viewers and PewDiePie himself.  One of the other good parts of the Rewind was Primitive Technology making a Youtube Rewind button out of clay over the credits. Overall, the Rewind had very professional editing and production quality, from the transition of the scenes to the zooming of the camera to the backdrop of all the scenes.  The way that Youtube combined multiple songs and transitioned from slow-motion to normal speed to time-lapse was a nice touch to the video. Youtube didn’t just stick with English content creators, they also had many people speaking other languages. To sum it up, Youtube Rewind was well-made, but with a bad script.

Ocie M., Reporter

Ocie Mitchell is a 7th grader currently at Kraemer Middle School.  He chose the online newspaper elective to improve his writing and to learn more about...